How to Give Extra Elevation to a Scopes Crosshair

Mad-Al

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I had my first skirmish of the year yesterday and the rifle was perfect, its just been dmrd and its throwing bbs as far as most snipers.

However when zeroing my scope (hensoldt fero 4x24 s2) i fully raised the elevation and its still not close to high enough i cant find much about these online but there doesnt seem to be a secondary adjuster for elevation as there are on some other scopes.

Has anybody had an issue like this and found a remedy for it?

Im thinking of possibly making up some shims for it but can that have any negative consequences?

Or if anyones done it do they have any tips?

Cheers in advance all!

Edited by Mad-Al

If you've got scope rings, the old trick was to put something like photo film or thin plastic sheets inside the scope ring where the scope sits. If you want your sight to look higher, try a piece under your front scope mount (I cut up a strip from a plastic wallet that you put paper in when using folders). 

3 hours ago, THE FNG said:

If you've got scope rings, the old trick was to put something like photo film or thin plastic sheets inside the scope ring where the scope sits. If you want your sight to look higher, try a piece under your front scope mount (I cut up a strip from a plastic wallet that you put paper in when using folders). 

Awesome advice thank you mate, i take it this is a situation where a little goes a long way?

19 minutes ago, Mad-Al said:

Awesome advice thank you mate, i take it this is a situation where a little goes a long way?

Yea it will be a case of trial and error.

Might be a pain but try with 1 or 2 strips first and see how you go and add more until you get your desired angle.

Just make sure your scope rings are nice and tight when you reach your desired height so it cant all move around and throw off your zero.

What ammo weight were you shooting?

If you were shooting 0.2g try with 0.28 or 0.3g first. It might just pull the aim point down a little.

If that doesn't solve it then you can buy shim washers. Far easier than modifying the internals. But that would depend on if you are running the claw mount or a rings system. The claw mount you want shim washers, If you are using rings then you run into all sorts of issues and may need to grind the back ring slightly with a lapping/sighting tool. You might also find that switching the ring positions front to back, and or turning them can have an effect on the aimpoint depending on what sort of quality the rings are.

Edited by Iceni

3 hours ago, Iceni said:

What ammo weight were you shooting?

If you were shooting 0.2g try with 0.28 or 0.3g first. It might just pull the aim point down a little.

If that doesn't solve it then you can buy shim washers. Far easier than modifying the internals. But that would depend on if you are running the claw mount or a rings system. The claw mount you want shim washers, If you are using rings then you run into all sorts of issues and may need to grind the back ring slightly with a lapping/sighting tool. You might also find that switching the ring positions front to back, and or turning them can have an effect on the aimpoint depending on what sort of quality the rings are.

Its on my dmr so im already up to .36s and i dont want to go higher because i burn through bbs and the cost starts going up from here...

Yeah im running the claw mount so as you and FNG have said it looks like I'll be shimming the front as quickly as i can between gates opening and the first round at my next game!

How easy is the claw mount to install? If it's stiff and you are decent/careful with a file it is possible to remove a small amount of back seat of the mount point. It'll make it easier to install and will also pull the aim point up at the same time.

1 hour ago, Iceni said:

How easy is the claw mount to install? If it's stiff and you are decent/careful with a file it is possible to remove a small amount of back seat of the mount point. It'll make it easier to install and will also pull the aim point up at the same time.

Its a genuine hensoldt one so im trying to avoid any permanent mods to it in case i decide to move it on further down the line.

Ill have a tinker with some beer can spacers and see how that goes for me.

Understandable. Modding the scope is something I didn't want to do to mine either. I have the Hensoldt Model 1. It's similar to the Z24 but it doesn't have the illuminated reticle option and see through reticle, but it does have the focus adjuster.

I did eventually make some slight modifications to my G3 and the claw mount to make it mount easier (I took a fine file to the top of the receiver to create flatter mounting points and the same on the claw mount I just took a whisker off, not enough that it couldn't still work on a real gun with the internal adjustment). I also have an untouched A.R.M.S #7 mount that I got with my scope so I have other options as well.

It's still a tight fit, but I don't have to crank it down. Figured that there was no harm done because the claw mounts are easy to find online, the chances of me selling the gun are pretty much none existent. I probably wouldn't be able to find another decent wood kit as Zib can no longer get them.

Edited by Iceni

10 hours ago, Iceni said:

Understandable. Modding the scope is something I didn't want to do to mine either. I have the Hensoldt Model 1. It's similar to the Z24 but it doesn't have the illuminated reticle option and see through reticle, but it does have the focus adjuster.

I did eventually make some slight modifications to my G3 and the claw mount to make it mount easier (I took a fine file to the top of the receiver to create flatter mounting points and the same on the claw mount I just took a whisker off, not enough that it couldn't still work on a real gun with the internal adjustment). I also have an untouched A.R.M.S #7 mount that I got with my scope so I have other options as well.

It's still a tight fit, but I don't have to crank it down. Figured that there was no harm done because the claw mounts are easy to find online, the chances of me selling the gun are pretty much none existent. I probably wouldn't be able to find another decent wood kit as Zib can no longer get them.

Ive got the model 2 so its not illuminated but takes an aftermarket illuminator and still has the manual focus, it was actually your original thread on your build that inspired me to get one!

Although my LCT didnt have half the issues yours did, i guess i got lucky but i got a tech to open mine up and the air seal was perfect and it only needed a single shim adding but from what ive read online i got extremely lucky there.

Getting the claw mount on was a complete sod due to tight fit, i couldn't do it and had to get a much stronger friend to do it in the end.

I nabbed an arms mount too in case i didnt get on with the hensoldt.

I'll try the shim approach first as i always prefer reversible modifications where possible.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.