Standard Comparison Question, AEG

Dacks_18

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I would lean (slightly) towards the G&G* - only because the quality of the receiver plastic is better than the others. There is nothing remarkable about it internally, but they get the job done. The inner barrel is pretty poor though - but you can upgrade that later.

The Specna has a better internal specification - better barrel, rotary hop, QD gearbox spring etc  - It's also available in a plethora of colour and rail configurations. A decent option for a new player . The Core series that I've handled in the past felt OK in the hands, but not quite as nice as the G&G.

The Valken is made by SRC - I wouldn't touch one personally.

Any starter gun would benefit from an upgraded inner barrel (ZCI is a good, cheap option), hop rubber/nub and a High-Torque motor. You'll get decent performance that will not leave you feeling out-gunned by those with higher-end stuff.

* Edit I would only consider the Raider 2.0 in G&Gs Combat Machine lineup - the rest are waaaay too expensive for what you actually get. G&G have really jacked up their prices in recent years, and once you move past the 2.0 the prices rise steeply for very little in return. I would not recommend any of their ETU-equipped guns unless you are happy to drop money on replacement electronics.

Edited by Speedbird_666

1 minute ago, Dacks_18 said:

That's really informative, thank you.

So the Specna Core is better internally though?

What I read about it on the website is that the Core SA-C25 has metal gears and a MOSFET, isn't that much better than the Raider 2.0?

Yep - they are marginally better specified internally.

To be clear - virtually all entry-level AEGs have metal gears - G&G Raiders included. It could be argued that G&G gears might actually be slightly better finished than Specna's (I'm basing that on a small sample of 2 G&Gs Combat Machines and a single Specna that I've owned, so others may claim otherwise).

The MOSFET is a very new addition to the CORE lineup - not all models have been equipped with them yet so make sure that the vendor specifically states that one is fitted if that's a selling point for you.

It's not a great MOSFET by any stretch though. I have the same MOSFET in a higher-end Specna model that has died after one day of use (again - small sample). A 'standard' trigger switch (like the G&G) is no bad thing - they are very reliable as long as you don't try to stick a monster of a LiPo battery on it.

But for a tenner more - this gun beats both (IMO) but the proprietary nature of ICS ain't everyone's cup of tea.

3 hours ago, Dacks_18 said:

would you recommend a decent MOSFET as well or not? Like, is it worth it, at this stage?

Nope. Leave it alone. Don't touch the gearbox until it breaks.

First (and most noticeable) upgrade - SHS Hi-Torque motor

Second - 275mm ZCI barrel inner barrel

Third - Hop Rubber and Nub (the stock Raider G&G green rubber isn't bad at all, so I wouldn't worry for a while)

Run on a 7.4v Buffer Tube LiPo and you are good to go.

14 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Third - Hop Rubber and Nub (the stock Raider G&G green rubber isn't bad at all, so I wouldn't worry for a while)

That's really, really helpful - thank you!

I will do just that.

16 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Few questions on this though;

Have you already worked out the barrel length for me, based on the Raider 2.0? (Vanilla, not S or L?)

With the hi-torque motor will the 7.4v battery be an issue? As in, should I buy a few of those batteries to last a full day?

Is the 7.4v LiPo battery plug and play? No upgrades needed to electronics, out of the box?

Cheers!

Raider V1 came in two lengths, S and L

Raider 2.0 comes in one length, with a 275mm inner barrel. 

Raider 2.0E (ETU model) comes with the longer barrel. 

7.4v with a Hi-Torque is no issue. I have been running that combo for years. I would recommend two batteries, with a lunchtime battery swap.

I recommend hobbyking batteries as they can be had for £6 each from their UK warehouse.  They can be had with Deans or Mini-Tamiya connectors (which is standard on G&G guns) pre-fitted so yep, plug in and go. 

You don’t need any electronic upgrades such as Mosfets to run 7.4v LiPos. 

On 20/04/2021 at 10:03, Speedbird_666 said:

Raider V1 came in two lengths, S and L

Raider 2.0 comes in one length, with a 275mm inner barrel. 

Raider 2.0E (ETU model) comes with the longer barrel. 

7.4v with a Hi-Torque is no issue. I have been running that combo for years. I would recommend two batteries, with a lunchtime battery swap.

I recommend hobbyking batteries as they can be had for £6 each from their UK warehouse.  They can be had with Deans or Mini-Tamiya connectors (which is standard on G&G guns) pre-fitted so yep, plug in and go. 

You don’t need any electronic upgrades such as Mosfets to run 7.4v LiPos. 

Thank you, so much. Really really helpful

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.