L85 Afv Hopup Unit Swap

TommoThomson

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm just looking for some advice on changing the gear hopup unit in my G&G L85 AFV over to a rotary style one.

I've tried changing units on rifs before and I always seem to run into feeding issues once they are installed, so if anyone has changed the hopup in their L85 and can advise on what are good units  to fit to them.

Or if anyone would be up for sharing some tips and tricks on hopup placement, when fitting a new unit to a Rif I would be grateful as I know I'm doing something wrong but have no idea where to start to modify things to make one fit....even on an M4 😆

Some hopups require a shorter or longer air nozzle. Too long and it will not feed. Too short and you'll get multiple feeds. Also some aftermarket ones have washers and springs to push them back against the gearbox. The removal of the o ring can sometimes be the difference between feeding and not. But why change just because its rotary? 

On 10/10/2020 at 15:46, Trixxeo said:

Some hopups require a shorter or longer air nozzle. Too long and it will not feed. Too short and you'll get multiple feeds. Also some aftermarket ones have washers and springs to push them back against the gearbox. The removal of the o ring can sometimes be the difference between feeding and not. But why change just because its rotary? 

Yeah I prefer the rotary type and I want to fit a Prowin, when I install my new TNT barrel rubber and nub. 

When I've tried to fit hop ups before though they seem to sit too far in the outter barrel, I've normally used the springs that are fitted on the stock barrel as well to stop it going in too far but it doesn't seem to do that. 

So what I'm going to do, is pull my stock hopup and barrel out in one piece, then try to install the new barrel and Prowin. 

That way when it all goes wrong I can just pull it all out, shout at it, try again and then give up and put the old stuff back in 😂

I have installed a Maxx Pro hopunit with tracer in my g&g l85 Afv, as Trixxeo pointed out the standard nozzle is the wrong length for reliable feeding so I bought one of Maxx's adjustable nozzles. Other then the nozzle mismatch I had no issues with installation and shes both beauty & beast now. 👍

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.