Baofeng Bf-t1?

Shenaf

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Head Moderator

In case you are not aware:

To select a radio you need to decide who you are going to speak to and on what frequencies.

PMR446 radios can be used with no licence and can communicate with anyone who is using PMR446 frequencies.

Most PMR446 handsets can dial into any of their frequencies, some need to be programmed with a set of your chosen PMR frequencies enabling you to instantly dial between your pre-set PMR446 frequencies 

Radios such as Baofengs operate on different frequencies and you need to register for a licence, this provides you with licence frequencies that you may use and then programme the handsets.  You can then communicate with anyone using the same frequency.

The Baofengs and similar handsets can often be programmed to PMR446 frequencies but transmit at a higher strength and are illegal to operate as PMR 446 

It would be between me and 2 others they have yet to buy anything and we are all looking at getting the same set up. 

PMRs will suit you, then each of you can buy whichever manufacturer & model you prefer

Go for digital PMR and you have the greater choice in frequencies.

Original analogue PMR handsets had 8 primary channels, later more were added giving 16 analogue channels

Digital PMR had 16 and also doubled giving 32 digital channels.

(The channels are also supplemented by numerous sub frequencies)

Analogue old and new can communicate and digital old and new can communicate.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=digital+pmr446+radios&sprefix=digital+PMR&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11

You can choose handsets with the classic black walkie talkie look, or choose from different sizes & bright colour schemes (handy if you carry in a pouch then realise you dropped it in game)

A useful side effect of original cheap analogue PMRs was when they only had the 8 primary channels but not the sub frequencies.  I could allocate sub frequencies to people, monitor from a cheapie and speak on the particular frequencies with a ‘better’ handset.  Similar to running a handset on scan, but I’d pick up all chatter rather than it focusing on the first to speak.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.