Airsoft Over and Under Shotgun Build Project

SHRAIID
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Iv got plans to create an over and under shotgun for an apocolypse themed airsoft build. Im aware of the mad max side by side style shotguns, but im really after a sawn off over and under.

So that means I gotta make my own! For the most part, it shouldnt be too difficult. I can get hold of a wooden stock from ebay, and metal tubing for barrels shouldnt be too tricky to work out.

My question for you guys today is how could I go about crafting/obtaining the central metal piece that hinges from the stock onto the barrels. (as shown circled in blue in the image). As its a rather important shape for something made of metal if I want it to fit onto the stock properly. Of course, I could try and cast one from plastic, but metal would be much prefered for both being more durable for a functioning piece and to be closer to the real thing.

What would your suggestions be for achieving this? Any thoughts on the project are welcome! Cheers.

over_and_under_shotgun.PNG

unless you can cast metal your options are bend it our of one piece of sheet metal ( that will most likely require welding) easiest way is to design files and get it 3d printed. there is an american paint ball company that offer over under shot guns that use APS CAM870 shells.

Yeah 3d printing might be a fair option there. I did bump into that American companies site a few mins ago actually yeah, shame the shotgun is so expensive for something that's just 3d printed. If they sold the print files, I'd get those and print it myself.

Designing it from sheet metal is also a fair option... Hmmm, ok. A fair bit to consider for sure.

3 minutes ago, SHRAIID said:

Yeah 3d printing might be a fair option there. I did bump into that American companies site a few mins ago actually yeah, shame the shotgun is so expensive for something that's just 3d printed. If they sold the print files, I'd get those and print it myself.

Designing it from sheet metal is also a fair option... Hmmm, ok. A fair bit to consider for sure.

its not that complicated a shape and could be cut from a sing piece of sheet steel it could be riveted together but welding would be stronger and be aesthetically  better.

6 minutes ago, BigStew said:

its not that complicated a shape and could be cut from a sing piece of sheet steel it could be riveted together but welding would be stronger and be aesthetically  better.

Alright, cool! Yeah i suppose doing it that way isn't too difficult. Il certainly give it a solid go that's for sure. Couple prototypes and tweaking I reckon to get things spot on. But it's all part of the fun!

Aluminium will be a lot easier to work than steel. Obviously you can't weld it but if you're careful you could use the hinge and furniture to hide the screws. 3d printing would definitely be the easiest way to make the receiver and mechanism, check out the break action super shotgun from Doom a cosplayer designed. Nothing stopping you from having 3d printed internals sat in a folded metal shell. 

Centre is generally called the action (the bit you circled) and the breech (the end of the barrels that take the cartridges)

The tricky bit about making an airsoft shotty is making sure it cannot fire real cartridges, even if it self destructed doing so, you’ve still built a firearm lol.

Real O/U shotties are beautiful bits of kit, everything working together and snicking into place.

Might be worth getting a section2 licence (easy to do). O/U are fairly cheap, you could then buy one legitimately and use it to copy from. Or copy from a deactivated one.

Dont forget you need to decide on trigger action (dual triggers, dual triggers selectable, single trigger)

10 hours ago, PopRocket123 said:

Aluminium will be a lot easier to work than steel. Obviously you can't weld it but if you're careful you could use the hinge and furniture to hide the screws. 3d printing would definitely be the easiest way to make the receiver and mechanism, check out the break action super shotgun from Doom a cosplayer designed. Nothing stopping you from having 3d printed internals sat in a folded metal shell. 

you can weld aluminium 

There's an airsoft M79 on Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3334987

You could use that for inspiration, make a narrower version, hook up two triggers and put stacked barrels on the front. It even has an extractor. Make sure whatever stops the gun from opening too far is something like a steel insert so when you break it open enthusiastically it doesn't snap in half :D

I also wouldn't worry about using plastic, my friend has an O/U I think it's a Beretta which just has a horrible black paint/coating finish instead of bluing

Edit: oh the M79 has a top lever... I guess you'd have to make a post going through the action to rotate a locking latch thing beneath the barrels.

6 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Centre is generally called the action (the bit you circled) and the breech (the end of the barrels that take the cartridges)

The tricky bit about making an airsoft shotty is making sure it cannot fire real cartridges, even if it self destructed doing so, you’ve still built a firearm lol.

Real O/U shotties are beautiful bits of kit, everything working together and snicking into place.

Might be worth getting a section2 licence (easy to do). O/U are fairly cheap, you could then buy one legitimately and use it to copy from. Or copy from a deactivated one.

Dont forget you need to decide on trigger action (dual triggers, dual triggers selectable, single trigger)

Yeah, I understand what ur saying. Iv got plans for how it will function with airsoft shells without any risks of being able to fire off any real shotgun shells.

The plan is to make the trigger mechanism very similarly as this guys done it with his over and under shotgun pistol build. Essentially two triggers that swivel on a pin. by pulling the trigger, the pin moves forward to simply press the button on the back of the gas airsoft shells.

triggers.jpg.b5ce7ee04262f721129108abfea26fab.jpg

To make the action body however, I may give a crack at making it from either Aluminium or steel first as it would be nice for it to be made from metal. Both aesthetically and for peace of mind that it wont fall apart on me. Failing that, il take a gander at producing an action shell from 3d printing it.

Then its also deciding how i will go about making the locking mechanism for holding the barrels upright during use and not falling down. I could of course copy that 3d printed pistols design of simply having a push bar that sits on top stopping it from moving, but it would be nicer to attempt to make a proper release lever like the origionals

Archived