G&G firehawk, didn't realise it doesn't come with a battery, Will the ones I have fit? (Haven't received it yet)

Compulsive Reload
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The charger you linked to is a balance charger, it's the same as the one I linked to on component shop.

Voltage with a balance charger doesn't matter. They work by charging each cell on the battery individually. So you can charge 1 cell 3.7v, 2 cell 7.4v, or 3 cell 11.1 batteries using the same charger.

The output current at 800mAh is pretty low, for a 1300mAh battery it's going to take almost 2 hours to fully charge.

With a better charger in the future you can get a charge time of less than an hour, but for the minute all you need to know is those products will work together, and the small balance charger should be seen as a short term solution until you can get a nice charging station with variable output (research how these work, but you can charge several batteries at once with them).

That particular model doesn't have a wall plug, Get one with a plug so you don't have to go searching for a power source!

6 minutes ago, Iceni said:

The charger you linked to is a balance charger, it's the same as the one I linked to on component shop.

Voltage with a balance charger doesn't matter. They work by charging each cell on the battery individually. So you can charge 1 cell 3.7v, 2 cell 7.4v, or 3 cell 11.1 batteries using the same charger.

The output current at 800mAh is pretty low, for a 1300mAh battery it's going to take almost 2 hours to fully charge.

With a better charger in the future you can get a charge time of less than an hour, but for the minute all you need to know is those products will work together, and the small balance charger should be seen as a short term solution until you can get a nice charging station with variable output (research how these work, but you can charge several batteries at once with them).

Do I need a separate transformer in the post mentioned above? 

10 minutes ago, Compulsive Reload said:

Do I need a separate transformer in the post mentioned above? 

Yes.

There are a couple of models on prime with the transformer included. I would go with one of these and risk it been a dud. Just watch it like a hawk whilst it's charging till you know it's a decent unit.

I'd still go with the component shop one, and have the site you are going to play at charge the new battery.

It's a tough call because of time, but chances are if you arrive early on site, and get it straight on charge it should be good to play with after the briefing.

2 minutes ago, Iceni said:

Issue is already ordered blue one, is the transformer the black cable? Would an old kettle cable do? 

You'll need the correct voltage and output current on the block.

Best bet is argos if you can make it today. They do a cheap variable plug that should suit. You'll need to use the full 12v it can supply, but it will work. And at 900mAh it should be about the right output.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/9829701

39 minutes ago, MisterG said:

It's basic, but will do the job.  You will need a separate transformer, as it doesn't look like it has one.

G

Thanks for pointing that out! 

17 minutes ago, Iceni said:

Best bet is argos if you can make it today. They do a cheap variable plug that should suit. You'll need to use the full 12v it can supply, but it will work. And at 900mAh it should be about the right output.

I've cancelled the blue one, should I just get the 11.99 of  you linked or opt for a more expensive one on amazon.

Cheers

40 minutes ago, Iceni said:

Cancelled the blue one for now as I don't want to pay an extra 12.99 for a plug and may not be able to make it. Should I buy the £11 quid one on amazon or pay more for a better one

13 hours ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

Might fit in the buffer but you won’t be able to retract the stock, depends how large the fuse is etc! 

Might be working getting a 7.4 lipo as they have the same MAH in a smaller package.

Just incase I can't get the lipo I ordered charged, would the 8.4v 1600 nimh damage the internals like patrolbase said or will it be fine? 

10 minutes ago, Compulsive Reload said:

Just incase I can't get the lipo I ordered charged, would the 8.4v 1600 nimh damage the internals like patrolbase said or will it be fine? 

It will be fine honestly👍🏻 

7.4V has more grunt anyway so not sure why PB said that...

19 minutes ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

It will be fine honestly👍🏻 

7.4V has more grunt anyway so not sure why PB said that...

Alright, cheers will take it with me and charge the lipo on site.

When you are ready for a charger you should look into chargers that can be used with balance boards. The option for a balance board isn't imediatly obvious, but in time once you have a collection of batteries it makes a huge difference to how you can prepare the night before a skirmish.

It's the fastest way to do multiple batteries. But and this is a big BUT, all of the batteries have to be almost identical. You are in the perfect position to start looking into this.

The charger you want is one that can do at least 5amps. You may as well get a charger that can do this right off the bat as you can still single charge batteries, but it gives you future proofing to expanding into a collection of guns.

With this you can charge your single lipo @ 1.3amps on the lipo setting.

Then when you have several of those batteries, you buy a balance board. The balance board allows you to gang up the batteries so if you have 4x 1300mAh batteries of the same type you can connect them all to the charger at the same time.

So:

1 battery is 1.3 amps charged normally. Time 1 hour.
4 batteries at 1.3amps charged individually. Time 4 hours.
4 batteries is (1.3 x4) 5.2amps charged together. Time 1 hour.

5Amp
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/accucel-6-digital-charger-with-5a-power-supply.html

10Amp

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/accucel-6-digital-charger-high-power-80w-with-power-supply.html

With one of those you have a charger that can run one of these.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/deans-power-paraboard-pb6-xh-t.html

You need to watch a few video's on how this works, and read up on safety. If you do things right this system is the best overall if you have multiple guns and batteries. You need to be safe and work safe if this is your goal.

• Supporters

Unfortunately - the FH & its buffer tube battery is a w@nk imho

Not only does it serious limit your battery options

but EVERY TIME you change battery the whole stock needs to come completely off

than pop the end to gain access

I ended up replacing the poxy stock & buffer tube with a fixed stubby stock

these are perhaps a bit too short for taller players maybe

but for CQB it works great as the FH is tucked tight into your body peaking & room clearing

Not as sexy looking perhaps as the GSO V2 stock

but a lot easier/quicker to change batteries and use almost any battery - even ultra cheap block type lipo's

Really think G&G should at least consider having these as an option if not as std stocks on FH

pic says 1,000 words....

KGwiFHL.jpg

taken from here....

ye olde necro post, took me yonks to find that pic

but yeah was messing about with batteries on FH when I first got it

then thought f*ck this for a game of soldiers and dropped stubby on there instead

1 minute ago, Sitting Duck said:

Unfortunately - the FH & its buffer tube battery is a w@nk imho

Not only does it serious limit your battery options

but EVERY TIME you change battery the whole stock needs to come completely off

than pop the end to gain access

I ended up replacing the poxy stock & buffer tube with a fixed stubby stock

these are perhaps a bit too short for taller players maybe

but for CQB it works great as the FH is tucked tight into your body peaking & room clearing

Not as sexy looking perhaps as the GSO V2 stock

but a lot easier/quicker to change batteries and use almost any battery - even ultra cheap block type lipo's

Really think G&G should at least consider having these as an option if not as std stocks on FH

pic says 1,000 words....

KGwiFHL.jpg

I see, didn't know anything about this stock business till I got it, wasn't mentioned in youtube reviews. I liked the gun so I bought it on that basis. 

Yeah the stock is silly really but don't fancy putting that stock on as its ugly asf, even though taking this stock off, etc is a pain in the ars*. 

One thing to note, I have ordered a 7.4v 1300 stick lipo and a 2mm madbull barrel extension so I can add a tracer, cqb site I go to which is why I wanted this gun.

Image is of mine with the 8.4v nimh, managed to get it to fit.

Cheers. 

IMG_20180706_103535.jpg

43 minutes ago, Iceni said:

When you are ready for a charger you should look into chargers that can be used with balance boards. The option for a balance board isn't imediatly obvious, but in time once you have a collection of batteries it makes a huge difference to how you can prepare the night before a skirmish.

It's the fastest way to do multiple batteries. But and this is a big BUT, all of the batteries have to be almost identical. You are in the perfect position to start looking into this.

The charger you want is one that can do at least 5amps. You may as well get a charger that can do this right off the bat as you can still single charge batteries, but it gives you future proofing to expanding into a collection of guns.

With this you can charge your single lipo @ 1.3amps on the lipo setting.

Then when you have several of those batteries, you buy a balance board. The balance board allows you to gang up the batteries so if you have 4x 1300mAh batteries of the same type you can connect them all to the charger at the same time.

So:

1 battery is 1.3 amps charged normally. Time 1 hour.
4 batteries at 1.3amps charged individually. Time 4 hours.
4 batteries is (1.3 x4) 5.2amps charged together. Time 1 hour.

5Amp
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/accucel-6-digital-charger-with-5a-power-supply.html

10Amp

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/accucel-6-digital-charger-high-power-80w-with-power-supply.html

With one of those you have a charger that can run one of these.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/deans-power-paraboard-pb6-xh-t.html

You need to watch a few video's on how this works, and read up on safety. If you do things right this system is the best overall if you have multiple guns and batteries. You need to be safe and work safe if this is your goal.

Thats quite alot to take in, thanks for the time posting it.

Don't think I'll really need to charge multiple at once honestly, and seems alot of messing about. I think I would be more comfortable with just charging one at a time on that one you suggested first off.

As for now I'll order that and charge my lipo at the site per recommendation and use my stick nimh if it isn't done.

Cheers

• Supporters

Hey if it works for you then that is all that matters

most people set the stock about half way or even 2/3 of the way back

Yup I know stubby isn't as sexy - said that 4 years ago but it is a lot more practical

plus a £5~£8 block type lipo just goes in and it all works well for CQB stuff

I think putting on a crane stone to use nunchuck batteries is another option

but just me personally you lose the look and don't quite get the full flexibility on battery options

(actually think a crane stock on a FH is a bit dumb but people have done it to improve battery options)

I've said it before plenty times

Think there is scope for somebody to make a MEDIUM fixed stock

There is the stubby stock at about 200mm aprox - tad too short for most gen AEG's

There is the full sized M4 DMR fixed stock which is about 350mm long - tad too long for reg AEG's imho

So somewhere about 260~280mm length fixed stock would likely be perfect or near enough for most peeps

If you think about it - many guns like AK's, G36, L85, AUG, SIG's & many others you are stuck with the stock

it might on some have a folding option but that is about it on the stock length options

after than, the majority of AK's & G36's are fixed stocks and that is it - no adjustment available

(yes there are some odd/weird variants but was talking in general most are fixed stocks)

M4 platform is a pimps heaven as you can go to town custimsing your toy gun loads more than most others

end of the day, it's your gun, your money do what you like etc.....

Archived