Help! I can't see the enemy.

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I know this is going to sound like i'm being obstinant but this is the internet so some weird force compels me to put forth my tuppence.

i tend not to go by what competition shooters use, after all they're going to be on fixed ranges knowing exactly the conditions they're going to be shooting in and especially for competition your looking at known targets that arent going to conceal themselves (which is exactly the point of this thread). Even better is they have time to prepare because by the time they're waiting for their turn to shoot they have plenty of time to swap out to tinted if the suns out.

You have a valid point about special forces, cant say i've studied what they're using in theatre in great detail although i'd wager that the choice of lense is probably going to be very highly dependant on the particular theatre theyre in (ie it stands to reason they'd wear sunglasses in the desert).

I tend to find for me at least that fully tinted lenses when going from open skies to shaded forest there's a noticable darkness that takes time to adjust to, with clear lenses on a sunny day it can be a pain. But with yellow it sheilds enough from the sun yet going into the shade you arent as aware of the change. Works for me and i reccommend at least trying it, might not be for everyone, and yes the whole "use this shade for this, that shade for that, and this shade complements left handed people" is a bit of marketing fluff, but i disagree that its all completely snake oil.

Guest PT247
1 hour ago, CKinnerley said:

Gotta be honest I think there's a ton of snake oil in most tinted lenses, certainly in promotional material for them.  You wanna see gear that works?  Look at international shooting competitors; 3-gun, Olympics, global military shooting competitions, heck special forces in theatre.  What I see them all wearing is clear lenses or shades... that's it in the vast majority of cases.  These are people who know infinitely more about these things than any of us and have the money and experience to buy and try every single option on the market then use all those options extensively.

If something works for you then use it, fire away, I'll never tell you not to. But personally I go clear if I'll be in the dark and regular darkened lenses for bright days, nothing more to it and most eye pro comes with both.

100% agree, all I have found with other colours is things look more yellow or darker. If I could get some faster response polarised lenses than I have then I would be inclined to use them more, but the ones I have are a little slow to transition in woodland

Archived