Good Starter Radios

Newbold
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi 

Has anybody got any recommendations for starter radios? My friend and I are looking to start using some.

Thanks

Newbold

If you don't want to spend a fortune, Cobra's work well and can be used with a headset if you get the correct adapters.

• Head Moderator

There have been a couple of recent topics about this.  The search tool is easy to use, has a 3 character minimum length, and then read through any results.

For example, search term "radio":

There is a good radio guide in the Tutorials section as well. Will be linked to other comms topics as well.

I posted this a few days ago.

Thought an update on my progress with this might be useful.

I have gone down the Small Business Light User licence from Offcom. Im sure lots of people dont. £75 over 5 years isnt a big deal and I can add in others to my team frequencies now quite lgally.

I bought 2 Beofeng UV-5R radio sets with batteries, chargers and earpieces from an eBay seller in the UK called littlelittlebird for £38.99 delivered. These were programmed for me by a tech at my local site in less than 5 minutes.

I found the Condor Handheld Radio Pouch fits perfectly and bought two from cadetdirectltd on eBay. £15.74 with combined postage.

Then I bought 2 x Bowman Headsets and Peltor type PTTs (sold as Z-Tactical but arrived with no branding) from a seller in China called Sales-Radio. Unfortunately one of the PTT's doesnt work but at £36 delivered I figured this was worth the risk. Hopefully I will get a resolution on the U/S PTT.

Thats it though, its as simple as that.

Archived