Thinking of grabbing some coms

skillfulmmd
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Would the following model be acceptable as a starting point for milsim?

Baofeng Pofung GT-3TP Mark-III

if not what are some other reccomendations? 

4 minutes ago, skillfulmmd said:

Would the following model be acceptable as a starting point for milsim?

Baofeng Pofung GT-3TP Mark-III

if not what are some other reccomendations? 

The GT-3TP does look like a great radio. I think it's still based on the UV-5R internals so operates the same way. It's a higher power radio. Even at 4w the UV-5R performed really well for me. The only things that stopped me going for the GT was the price and the fact that I knew someone with a UV that's a proven technology.

I'd say go for it.

PS. If you want help programming, just holla. It's all pretty straight forward once you figure it out.

39 minutes ago, warlord said:

The GT-3TP does look like a great radio. I think it's still based on the UV-5R internals so operates the same way. It's a higher power radio. Even at 4w the UV-5R performed really well for me. The only things that stopped me going for the GT was the price and the fact that I knew someone with a UV that's a proven technology.

I'd say go for it.

PS. If you want help programming, just holla. It's all pretty straight forward once you figure it out.

How do you go about waterproofing coms as it seems like a milsim in the UK has a high chance of something like rain or falling over in mud etc happening?

27 minutes ago, skillfulmmd said:

How do you go about waterproofing coms as it seems like a milsim in the UK has a high chance of something like rain or falling over in mud etc happening?

Good question. I'd guess you'd only want the cables exposed. The radio wouldn't need any access beyond on and off so square it away in a good bag. The exposed PTT should be water proof.

• Moderators

have a look in the radio guides

Brightcandles Radio Advice

I have 2 Uv5rs and the license so im covered where ever i play.....need to look into other ear / talk bits

like RIFs, there is also a 'law' regarding radio so take that into account when your looking

PMR = Free :)

13 minutes ago, djben9 said:

have a look in the radio guides

Brightcandles Radio Advice

I have 2 Uv5rs and the license so im covered where ever i play.....need to look into other ear / talk bits

like RIFs, there is also a 'law' regarding radio so take that into account when your looking

PMR = Free :)

Nice on mate I will take a look. 

Thanks for your help guys:)

Archived