Looking for a good spring for my M14

SCAR_Jester

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As the title suggests I'm looking for a god spring to put my CYMA M14 EBR into the 450fps zone, anyone that can say "will get you abut 450" or "I KNOW it will give 450" is great! :)

All parts are stock.

Thanks

- Corky

• Root Admin

If all the parts are stock, then don't upgrade the spring alone. As a rule of thumb with any airsoft gun: You can't just upgrade 'one thing' - different tolerances and materials mean you'll stress certain parts far more than others (and that will break things).

That said, an M130 or 40 should be enough to get you up to 450fps. Just, again, seriously consider upgrading the cylinder, spring guide and motor first. CYMA internals are alright, but nothing to write home about.

Any brand of spring will do, frankly. Madbull ones are quite easy to find in the UK and will set you back around £15 if you include postage.

If all the parts are stock, then don't upgrade the spring alone. As a rule of thumb with any airsoft gun: You can't just upgrade 'one thing' - different tolerances and materials mean you'll stress certain parts far more than others (and that will break things).

That said, an M130 or 40 should be enough to get you up to 450fps. Just, again, seriously consider upgrading the cylinder, spring guide and motor first. CYMA internals are alright, but nothing to write home about.

Any brand of spring will do, frankly. Madbull ones are quite easy to find in the UK and will set you back around £15 if you include postage.

Yeah I know I'm making a list to upgrade the gun, barrel and hopup work really well stock so I don't want to mess with that just yet (crazy accurate), I just want a higher fps so I can put heavier bb's in, the gun has the range at the moment :)

And as for the internals I'm gonna just correct AoE, reshim, clean it all up and a new motor. I'll look into replacing the cylinder for longevity reasons too, bit it isn't at the top of my list.

Thanks though :)

• Root Admin

Perhaps it's just your wording, but you may have made the classic mistake of thinking work = FPS. I know for a fact that Section 8 (to take one of the sites you play at) has an FPS limit of 360 on fully automatic guns; using heavier BBs may reduce the velocity, but not the overall energy of the BB.

Changing your FPS really isn't always entirely necessary when you're using heavier BBs. Indeed, if you go in with the expectation of getting ~350fps with a .36 or something, then that's considered cheating the chrono and may have you thrown out.

The maths:

~360fps (which is what you should be at right now) with a .2 is 1.2J

~450fps with a .2 is 1.88J, which far exceeds almost every site limit in the UK for automatic weapons

If you were to use a .28 or .36 with an upgrades spring then you'd be putting out 380fps and 335fps respectively buy again, the work stays the same (at 1.88J). Sites tend to put the FPS limit in as it's easier for people to understand, but what they're really after is the energy of each shot being at the site limit. For Section 8 that's:

• Full auto capable guns and pistols – 360fps (w/0.2g) or 1.2 Joule (Under 10m, single shot only)
  • Semi auto only capable rifle – 425fps (w/0.2g) or 1.68 Joule (25m min engagement)
  • Bolt Action rifle – 500fps (w/0.2g) or 2.32 Joule (30m min engagement)

My advice: Buy those heavier BBs and crank your hop up to see if it'll cope. If it does then you're golden, and will only need to conduct minor upgrades. If your M14 is hitting 360-370 already, then that's the high end of being site legal anyway for fully automatics, and you should probably not take it any further.

Perhaps it's just your wording, but you may have made the classic mistake of thinking work = FPS. I know for a fact that Section 8 (to take one of the sites you play at) has an FPS limit of 360 on fully automatic guns; using heavier BBs may reduce the velocity, but not the overall energy of the BB.

Changing your FPS really isn't always entirely necessary when you're using heavier BBs. Indeed, if you go in with the expectation of getting ~350fps with a .36 or something, then that's considered cheating the chrono and may have you thrown out.

The maths:

~360fps (which is what you should be at right now) with a .2 is 1.2J

~450fps with a .2 is 1.88J, which far exceeds almost every site limit in the UK for automatic weapons

If you were to use a .28 or .36 with an upgrades spring then you'd be putting out 380fps and 335fps respectively buy again, the work stays the same (at 1.88J). Sites tend to put the FPS limit in as it's easier for people to understand, but what they're really after is the energy of each shot being at the site limit. For Section 8 that's:

My advice: Buy those heavier BBs and crank your hop up to see if it'll cope. If it does then you're golden, and will only need to conduct minor upgrades. If your M14 is hitting 360-370 already, then that's the high end of being site legal anyway for fully automatics, and you should probably not take it any further.

Don't worry I know my site limits and all the rest, this is going to be a VERY slow DMR build as I have a lot going on right now, so first is what do I need for a DMR, which would be range and accuracy, but as a DMR sitting back a bit, I need my bb's to go fast enough to count. Then I go for the things that increase lifespan, make things work faster and smoother. Then the fine tuning and little fiddly bits.

• Root Admin

I'd say that if you're sitting back and trying to take out stuff from 25m+ then trying to hit anything moving perpendicular to yourself is going to be a challenge, regardless of the speed of your BBs.

I'd also really like to stress again that it's nothing but a bad idea to throw such a high powered spring into something that hasn't got a decent cylinder or particularly good gears; I've seen it end in tears many times. You could end up costing yourself a lot of money by having to replace the entire gearbox. I know it's all rather temping, but just be careful. If you're going for a slow build then perhaps upgrade the barrel first (keeping it the same length of course unless you're looking to get the cylinder immediately), then the motor, then the cylinder and finally the gears and spring.

And you've said you know your site limits but, as I've just posted, 450fps is well outside of both Section 8 and Airsoft Edinburgh's site limits. Are you looking to lock it to semi? Even so, that would still not be site legal for Section 8.

I'd say that if you're sitting back and trying to take out stuff from 25m+ then trying to hit anything moving perpendicular to yourself is going to be a challenge, regardless of the speed of your BBs.

I'd also really like to stress again that it's nothing but a bad idea to throw such a high powered spring into something that hasn't got a decent cylinder or particularly good gears; I've seen it end in tears many times. You could end up costing yourself a lot of money by having to replace the entire gearbox. I know it's all rather temping, but just be careful. If you're going for a slow build then perhaps upgrade the barrel first (keeping it the same length of course unless you're looking to get the cylinder immediately), then the motor, then the cylinder and finally the gears and spring.

And you've said you know your site limits but, as I've just posted, 450fps is well outside of both Section 8 and Airsoft Edinburgh's site limits. Are you looking to lock it to semi? Even so, that would still not be site legal for Section 8.

Of course it would be locked to semi, and I will look into stronger parts, I don't play at section8 much at all anymore so having a hot gun for there isn't a problem.

Also, (not 100% I need to do more research) but I'm fairly sure this specific gun's gears can take the stronger spring, but the cylinder itself I will probably have to replace.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.