SMLE Woes

Russe11

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have been waiting months for Iron Airsoft to do another production run of the SMLE which was planned to happen this May. I was told that when they do a production run it will be possible to get a replacement mag. I need a new mag because the gas release valve blew up and is unrepairable.

Now I have been told that they no longer have any plans for another production run :angry:

I cannot find a replacement valve.

My options now are:

Option1: Find a way to fit a different mag. The Well/Aries gas powered G96 mag is the only one that looks possible. Does anyone have one that they could measure?

9aeadec13259647476b66254b658cbff9c77d8c0img_2034.jpg?w=500

Option2: Get either the top section of the mag or the whole mag custom made using a different gas release valve.

Option3: Take the whole gun apart and fit the inners from a spring sniper.

Option4: Keep it as just a non firing replica.

Dom from Vintage Airsoft is working on a spring mechanism that uses correct magazine placement. He might be able to work something out with converting it to spring?

Yeah, I know Dom and had already contacted him on facebook.

I looked up the vapour pressure of Propane to work out what sort of pressure a gas mag has to cope with and it's only about 150PSI at normal temperatures. This is comparable to the tyres on a road bike. CO2 is more like 1000PSI.

If I take a cast of the magazine upper and then make a copy using epoxy and fibreglass, it would then be possible to drill it for different valves. If I wanted extra mags I could take a cast of the inside of the mag and use real SMLE mag shells to provide the support.

Dayum thats some hard road bike tyres :P We never go past 120psi at work whether the customer wants us to or not :D

150PSI is higher than I go with my tyres, my point is that it is within the same region pressure wise. Did once see someone's road bike tyre blow, I thought someone had been shot. Anyway my point being that if a tyre can hold that sort of pressure, then surely the mag doesn't have to be entirely metal?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.