Gearbox locking up

TheGrover

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all.

After my last skirmish, my aegs gearbox locked up (less than 5 minutes from the end of the last game), and in my foolish attempt to unjam it, i blew the fuse.

I have finally got round to opening the box and unjamming it, but i was wondering what could cause the lockup in the first place? Not the simple ones where the gun is on semi and stops its cycle with the cutoff lever actuated, but a solid mechanical lock that the motor cant push past?

Thanks

• Supporters

low battery, or motor struggling to compress spring

piston snagged on 75% compression if the box has a cut-out window near spring guide

shim/motor height out a bit with wear (gears cross or binding from misalignment)

Something broke off - tiny fragment of metal - even plastic can jam gears

(anti-reversal spring gave up on me once and luckily it didn't jam but piston kept rolling backwards)

maybe other stuff but sounds more like piston or gear lock from my first impressions

if you have unlocked the box then it would be wise to at very least refit fuse and pistol grip+motor

test the hell out of it to see if it can be replicated - especially on semi out on the bench before refitting back into receiver

try half compressing spring and fire again to see if motor is struggling or continuing to pull spring from 50 to 75% compressed

You would be surprised how an iffy battery/motor with worn brushes can just say "fffforget this $hit" at 75% compression etc...

If it doesn't happen again after various thorough testing then it may just have been a one-off

and it might not happen again for a while in freak conditions but then it may likely be signs of further investigation needed at some point

and sooner or later will need opening up and thoroughly checking everything inside

Don't know how confident you feel/are about opening her up - if you are ok then it wouldn't hurt to crack her open and have a lookey

whilst about it regrease and check seals blah blah blah....

BUT - only if you feel confident about it coz if not and she appears to be running ok then perhaps put it down to one of those things

and see how she goes.....

2 things are certain with airsoft:

you will dry fire when you got the jump on some mofo

your gun will crap out on you - the one day you forget to bring an old spare or pistol with ya

I think it may have been my battery running low. Ive already had the box opened and unlocked the gears, i just wanted to figure out what caused it so i can try to prevent it

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.