Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

PaulHunter
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys.

I know this answer has probably been done to death by now, but after hours of searching various forums and websites, I’m still not 100% sure on the answer.

I used to play Paintball a few years ago, but gave it up due to work commitments. I’ve since been looking at Airsoft which seems a more realistic, tactical, and squad based sport (not seeing who can empty a hopper the fastest in the hope that you hit somebody!).

About a month ago my father was at a local auction when he rang me to see if I was interested in an airsoft gun that was being sold. That evening he brought it over, and I was quite surprised (at having only spent £30 on it), that is was a new all black (no coloured tips, body, etc) AEG G36C. This kind of perked my interested and later that night spent a few hours browsing the internet and out of pure impulse bought a second hand G36 from a private classified advert. When it arrived it was like the last one, all black with no body or tip colouring, and almost brand new!

A few weeks later I’m at a garden centre, my eye catches a large glass cabinet in the fishing department. Inside where a few all black Co2 BB pistols, and after losing the misses, I decided to buy one (only had to show proof of address).

Now this is where the uncertainty starts. I’ve since become aware of UKARA and have since been reading up on this topic. Whilst I was paintballing I had a Tippmann A5 stealth marker, and as far as I can remember there were no restrictions on buying, so I assumed that Airsoft guns were the same.

Now from what I understand UKARA was put into place by retailers when selling RIF’s. This also went some way to justify ownership under VCRA 2006. It is the responsibility of the seller not the buyer to satisfy them self’s that the RIF’s would be used for the purpose that they were intended for (not running around a housing estate playing cops & robbers....closely watched by SO19!).

Whilst buying the three Airsoft guns, not once was I asked for any proof of intended use or a UKARA membership number. The reality is that once the bad weather is over (if ever), than I will be joining a Airsoft skirmish club (UKARA registered), and using the guns for that purpose. Which leads me to another issue? Will the site let a non UKARA member use RIF’s for their games?

I know this it quite a lengthy post so I do apologize, and any views would be much appreciated. If I knew about UKARA before hand, then I would have either waited or bought two-tone guns, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Peter.

The site cant do anything, the UKARA and VCRA are only there really to prevent the purchase of RIFs. the site wont even ask where you got it from or whos it is. if your worried just say you are new and borrowing it from a friend which is legit. once the RIF is in your possession then no one can say anything. UKARA in my opinion is weak and pointless and i think people will agree.

My view is dont be worried, i turned up to my first game with a RIF i bought off a mate. the site wont ask for a UKARA number as to be fair its not their business or problem cos your using it for its intended purpose. You have done nothing wrong and no one will say anything, if they do just be honest and they will just say 'oh fair enough, THEY werent suppose to do that but pff to late now.'

your in the clear buddy.

As moose said, you have done nothing wrong. There are no restrictions on ownership and Its not a crime to purchase a RIF, The offence is in the sale. Its the seller who needs to check as they are the ones who will be in the sticky stuff if caught

This is probably the most sensible and accurate thread on the legal side of airsoft I've ever seen. Ever. The OP has actually managed to read and understand the law regarding the VCRA (and the fact that it does not apply to buying for over 18s) more accurately than about 97% of regular airsofters. Well done all involved.

Archived