need new kit for CQB

SimonQuigley
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

+1 on the MOLLE rig (or a MOLLE vest of course) but I would say maybe a pair of genuine Mechanix gloves rather than knock off Oakley ones. Plus I would maybe recommend a mesh half mask over the neoprene ones (having been shot close quarters in the face I was glad I had a mask that wasn't just covering my skin - that gap is very handy!)

• Supporters

I've been shot in the top lip by two GBB pistols at the same time, like literally both BB's hit at exactly the same moment, from a range of about 1.5m, whilst wearing a neoprene mask - it hurt a little, but not enough to leave a mark. My main problem with neoprene masks is that my face gets very hot and sweaty under them as soon as I start running about. Mesh is better. The cheaper mesh ones, like these, are easily bent, so they don't interfere with your aim, but they will still stop your teeth getting knocked out. For the best protection from tougher mesh, you don't need to spend any more than this.

That style of mesh goggles, ie small hole perforated sheet, do not create shadow artefacts in your field of view, but they do darken your vision like wearing shades. This is not such a good thing when you are trying to see into dim/dark places. For CQB I would recommend either something like these (you can always take the visor off) for the best 'see-through-ability', or Hero Sharks for next best vision and best protection.

IMO these provide the best combination of good vision, protection, and ventilation. It's just that you have to take the whole thing away from your face to eat, drink, or smoke... but it's not as if you're likely to need to do that during a CQB scenario. I'm not sure how well they work with helmets or radio headsets either.

You can get knock off Oakley gloves from fleabay cheaper than £20 - here £13.96 + Free Shipping I have a pair in black and they're very comfortable. Ed reckons his knock off ones are more comfy than the genuine ones he bought later :lol:

+1 to molle. I like the look of those Bulle Recon rigs - nice and light with enough molle space for the minimum needed battle rattle. I think it might look cooler to have a chest rig in OD over a desert UBACS, but that might just be me getting sick to the back teeth of seeing tan everywhere :P

If a desert UBACS is what you want, who am I to yawn? They're no longer issued though, so there are plenty kicking about, which makes even 1/2 the price of a black or MTP one delivered a bit much. Fleabay ninja says: check this bloke for 3 new ones starting at 99p - 1st ending in 36hrs w/ No Bids

Archived