RIS unit for AK74U

DreamWeaver
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Is there a RIS unit that fits a AK74U and if anyone has any experience with said RIS does it still give you the same amount of battery space?

I want to get a CYMA Ak74u and put a RIS on it but i don't want to loose that massive amount of battery space that runs down into the handguard.

Cheers

• Supporters

I've seen a RIS for 74U's on eb or eHobby... maybe RSOV - one of the HK sites

I've got one on my CYMA CM.028u tac AK47 and I'd say that the battery would fit all the way along, except that the CYMA body doesn't allow that. Are you sure the CYMA 74U does?

Yeah on the 74u the battery goes all the way into the hand guard theres room for a stick 9.6v with room to spare.

I was wanting to put a mosfet in the top with a stick lipo, would there be room for that on a normal cyma AK?

• Supporters

Probably would yeah, but best check. It's the connectors I'd be worried about. Maybe best to swap to Deans.

King arms do a ris set for Ak's including the cyma, also G&P do a cheap version as well (both perfectly fine, though the gnp is plastic as opposed to metal)

The G&P one basically just removes the wooden front hand guards and replaces them with RIS, there is no other modification required. Just make sure you get a 74 ris if you have a 74 and a 47 ris if you have a 47 as there is a size difference between the two. Hd a look over at a few sites and found some 47/74 stuff, but not the U stuff.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_86_262&products_id=31187 evike do one, in stock soon, so its definitely worth a google

• Supporters

Worth bearing in mind that the proper name of the gun is AKS-74U - for search engines.

Does anyone know if its possible to get the magwell guard for a ak47/74 AEG?

I'm going for a tacticool ak look

6225355569_60d67b723c_z.jpg

Part that i mean looks like that (The little metal flap next to the magwell opening)

Alsooooo, has anyone ever seen the ergonomic selector switch for the ak's? The one that makes it possible to easily switch fire modes with your trigger finger (EDIT just noticed, also on that photo)

Thanks for any help, specific parts are hard to find without having exact names!

• Supporters

LCT do the parts you want (sort of - the same lever but the mag well flanges have slots cut in them) - look on Fire Support.

You can also get the selector in a kit which includes a trigger guard and massive charging handle from CRW in HK.

I've got the selector on my AKS-74U and it is worth doing

- I can operate a stock AK selector with my trigger finger anyway, but this makes it easier.

I picked up the charging handle from the above kit on fleabay

- the charging handle looks great (IMO) but it doesn't have the extension on the cover that the stock ones have (so it can pull back far enough to lock, like in your pic), it is heavy steel and it only has 1 lug to attach it to the spring bar rather than 2. What this adds up to is instability.

Thanks for reminding me: I've been meaning to get those flanges for ages!

Awesome, do you have any pics of your 74u?

I got the idea from a second hand one i saw for sale, i think tactical looking aks74u's are the only type of AK that suit the look, i ordered my RIS unit from a HK shop just need these little doodads, some black waffle magazines and a kobra rds now and i'm set!

• Supporters

My 74U isn't a tactical - it's old skool

I've got a tactical AK47, but it's in bits right now. I love the look.

Have you seen the Hungarian AMD-65? LCT make one:
LCT_AMD65_review.jpg

I mean fcuk the foregrip, but the rest... er, hang on, I need some tissues.

Check this though:
800px-Afghan_border_police_aiming_a_weap

My own humble efforts:
imag1167.jpg

39979249823539689167423.jpg

imag1278n.jpg

My Images Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice, that gun does look good but that foregrip is like someone stuck another pistol grip on the front of the gun back to front haha.

I just found out those magwell flanges dont fit VFC clones because the fittings where it goes are rivets and they need to be screws :(

Does using a traditional rifle sling like the one you have for your 74u work well?

I love a tactical AK, I want to get the CYMA cm.028u, or a aks-74u with an RIS but there aren't the easiest things to find in the UK and I don't like the idea of buying overseas

• Supporters

Nice, that gun does look good but that foregrip is like someone stuck another pistol grip on the front of the gun back to front haha.

I just found out those magwell flanges dont fit VFC clones because the fittings where it goes are rivets and they need to be screws :(

Does using a traditional rifle sling like the one you have for your 74u work well?

I know, I just don't understand why anyone would want a foregrip like that. Unless it's so that your wrist is already at the same angle it needs to be to take an empty mag out, if you operate the release with your off hand thumb, in the usual way, that is...

Shame about the flanges. You could look into boring the rivets out with a Dremel and replacing them with #3 bolts.

Actually I was pretty surprised at how comfy that old skool sling is. I usually use 3-point slings but they don't work with the cut-down AK - it's too short between the sling mounts to hang diagonally, so it falls down and flaps around my belly! The old skool one hangs just fine and the friction of the canvas makes it stay put at pretty much whatever angle you let go of it. I need to beat that sling up a bit I think - get some stains on it and scuffs.

I am not sure if i like the ak with mods still think is looks the best with that old school look :)

I like both - they're each good for different loadouts, IMO.

I love a tactical AK, I want to get the CYMA cm.028u, or a aks-74u with an RIS but there aren't the easiest things to find in the UK and I don't like the idea of buying overseas

That's the one I've got, but I've busted part of it by being too clumsy breaking it down and reassembling it. I've got the part to refurbish it, but just can't find the motivation to do it lol! Part of me wants to just buy another brand new CM.028u and leave its internal parts alone! But yeah, they're not easy to find in the UK. Gunfire.pl have them and I expect shipping an RIF from Poland is likely to cause less grief to customs than from China, but ACMgear.com also have them.

• Supporters

I did notice, Shep. Sort of sat there looking longingly and argued with myself over whether to just go for it despite needing to get round to fixing my own, or whether to ask questions, maybe wheedle myself into buying, or just be sensible and get on with sorting my own out...

What model is it?

Ian, I was more angling at Dan, but I'll take offers on the gun only, as you obviously won't need the mags or battery :)

Its a cm039U, so full metal and built like a tank. Like I said its a lovely gun, just not for me any more as I'm going to Nam these days !

if you want to take it to PM feel free.

I ordered a cm.045 from taiwangun early this week its due to arrive on friday but I'm not sure if customs may delay it to check my defences, then i ordered the ris from an asian store for about £25 i figured if it goes tits up its not a massive amount to loose.

Dan, I'd say aslong as you import from the EU it shouldn't be much of an issue, i have to admit i'll feel more confident about importing aeg's once its sat on my lap though

Ian, I was more angling at Dan, but I'll take offers on the gun only, as you obviously won't need the mags or battery :)

Its a cm039U, so full metal and built like a tank. Like I said its a lovely gun, just not for me any more as I'm going to Nam these days !

if you want to take it to PM feel free.

You have no idea how much i want it, metal with the slanty AKM flash hider and most of all the side folding stock :wub: If I had the money right now it would be mine. Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

Got a refund from the ris i bought off asia airsoft turns out they don't update their website when they run out of stock.

Ordered the RIS from khmountain instead since I've heard good things about them.

Also does anyone know how to dremel rivets? (Derp)

• Supporters

You need to get at the inside of the rivet and grind off the squashed bit. After that the rivet may well pop out if you use a pre-blunted nail or nail punch and smack it with a hammer. If not you'll have to grind the shaft out too.

Oh yeah, and KHMountain are great.

I used to have a 74u and had the exact same problem. I managed to get hold of a lower handguard with an integrated RIS rail. He had taken it off his gun and fitted a standard grip, so I thought I'd have his old one since I wanted one. I used it at a few events before I sold it and it looked the part with a handguard or torch. Another idea which I tried was to fit a camera on the rail, which worked until I dropped the gun and buggered the camera. All in all, I preferred it to a full RIS system because I only wanted to add a foregrip. Also, if you want to mount an optic I've seen 74u top covers with integrated rails.

Yeah ive seen the top covers but i think im going to go with the normal side mounted rail, its just finding one in stock from a uk retailer. I dont mind ordering from asia every now and again but i hate waiting, makes me feel like a kid on christmas eve!

Archived