Really need help

rjmcgough
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, I purchased an ICS M4A1 second hand a while ago. I used t in my first game and the thing just died. Lower gearbox needs replaced, needs new motor as the ol one is completely ******.

It sat in my cupboard for about a year and now that I have had a bit more experience with AEGs I have started a project to repair it and completely pimp it out.

What is got me really stuck is trying to find parts that are compatible or only require a little modification to fit,

The main problem I have is trying to work out if the outer barrel I want will fit and what RAS unit will fit. (I think the madbull Noveske will fit after the receiver threads are filed slightly but I was looking for something slightly cheaper).

Wondered if you guys had any knowledge of the compatibilty of the barrel and a RAS unit that will fit.

Barrel: http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/madb...block--gas-tube

The barrel should fit, but if you want to keep the ICS hop then it'll need some filing - the "wings" on the ICS hop are fatter than a Marui one. You can either file the hop or the grooves in the barrel. If you're going with a Marui hop, then it'll be fine but then you may be looking at a new nozzle for the upper gearbox - I'm not sure there as I always keep the ICS hop.

RIS wise, generally speaking then anything G&P compatible should go on - they are the same thread as ICS. Although with usual airsoft tolerances this may be a bit trial and error! I have a Chinese copy of the Madbull Diablo on one upper that fit perfectly, I have a Chinese copy of the Madbull Noveske on another that needed the threads filing. But again, that could just be because they are copies of the originals!

The barrel should fit, but if you want to keep the ICS hop then it'll need some filing - the "wings" on the ICS hop are fatter than a Marui one. You can either file the hop or the grooves in the barrel. If you're going with a Marui hop, then it'll be fine but then you may be looking at a new nozzle for the upper gearbox - I'm not sure there as I always keep the ICS hop.

RIS wise, generally speaking then anything G&P compatible should go on - they are the same thread as ICS. Although with usual airsoft tolerances this may be a bit trial and error! I have a Chinese copy of the Madbull Diablo on one upper that fit perfectly, I have a Chinese copy of the Madbull Noveske on another that needed the threads filing. But again, that could just be because they are copies of the originals!

What about a madbull 3 in 1 hop up unit and replacing the air nozzle with a Modify air nozzle which I am sure is designed for TM?

Also how difficult is it to file down the threads as the noveske RIS would look sexy with the noveske barrel?

A Madbull hop would fit in a TM compatible barrel, and I can't see why the nozzle wouldn't fit.

As for filing the threads - it's more of a slow rather than difficult thing. You need to get a little triangular file from somewhere like Maplins, then carefully go round the threads on the receiver widening and making them a bit lower. Keep trying the delta ring to make sure it fits as you go.

I cheated a bit and the upper I put my Noveske on is plastic, so metal delta ring vs plastic thread meant it did the shaving/filing itself! I installed the delta ring a couple of twists, removed it and picked off the plastic shavings, then put it on and tightened it a couple more twists etc.. Repeat until it's fitted :)

I've just dismantled my M4 to re-spray it otherwise I'd post a pic! If I get it back together at the weekend I'll post one.

A Madbull hop would fit in a TM compatible barrel, and I can't see why the nozzle wouldn't fit.

As for filing the threads - it's more of a slow rather than difficult thing. You need to get a little triangular file from somewhere like Maplins, then carefully go round the threads on the receiver widening and making them a bit lower. Keep trying the delta ring to make sure it fits as you go.

I cheated a bit and the upper I put my Noveske on is plastic, so metal delta ring vs plastic thread meant it did the shaving/filing itself! I installed the delta ring a couple of twists, removed it and picked off the plastic shavings, then put it on and tightened it a couple more twists etc.. Repeat until it's fitted :)

I've just dismantled my M4 to re-spray it otherwise I'd post a pic! If I get it back together at the weekend I'll post one.

Thanks for the help

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go - took a bit longer than anticipated. I decided to swap the pistol grip for one of the newer ergonomic ones! It was originally painted dark earth, but I decided to make it into a bit of a CQB gun and change the paintjob. ACM Noveske RIS on the front, ICS outer barrel, metal lower receiver, plastic upper so no internal modding.

para1.jpg

para2.jpg

Archived