help me buy gear

Hutton
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

:) so yeah, im new too airsoft.... but completely know what im doing in the feild as i am a member of the forces.

i have purchased a AEG off someone on this website and it works great

the weapon is a HK416

all i need now is a nice plate carrier, prefrably MTP and im happy to spend 90 on that

im also after aload of metal magazines for it too, i dont know the difference between lowcap and high cap though so what do you prefere? and where can i buy them?

what do you guys prefere, webbing or chest rigs?

and how many magazines do you go into a skirmish with?

and what other gear do you take?

low cap = low capacity magazine (milsim) - 30 rounds or so

Mid cap = medium capacity - 120 rounds

High Cap = high capacity in the region of 300 - 450 rounds

low & mid caps are spring loaded mags and will auto load however high caps need to be wound by the wheel at the bottom of the mag to feed it (about every 50 rounds). So it all depends on how often you want to reload/replace or mag and your game style. i play general skirmish in woodlands with a mixture or ages, noobies and veterans. as a rule i generally play with 3 high caps as everyone seems to keep there finger on the trigger however i am thinking of changing to 6 mids.

most if not all retailers will sell mag's. you need to check to see if they are metal or not but you will be in the region of £20-25 per mag. there are all pretty much the same too but it is worth checking to make sure they fit your make of AEG as you can end up with feed issues and wobbles etc. try looking in the sale section on the forums, they are often for sale.

my loadout is generally MTP with a plate carrier however i am also considering swapping this too. it just seems to bulky for me and i am now going to a chest rig. i think i have learnt a lesson from buying cheap kit too so would only have geniune gear, not the chinamade junk. whatever you do make sure you have a utility pouch, not just mag pouches as you will always want to carry spare ammo, nades, smokes etc.

there is nothing wrong with ebay too, generally bought some good kit at half the cost. my plate carrier, pouches etc are all coyote tan, i think this looks pretty cool with MTP. you will also find that anything in multicam seems to cost a few quid more than the standard colour too. i'm going for warrior rigs for my gear now from UK tactical.

i wil let you know how i get on!!

I'm also after a load of metal magazines for it too, I don't know the difference between low cap and high cap though so what do you prefer? And where can I buy them?

Most sites will sell magazines, I'm guessing you're wanting the STANAG mags? Or P-mags, whatever your choice, most airsoft websites will sell them (Wolf armouries, Fire support, Airsoft world etc.) for usually £15-£25 depending on what type of magazine you buy.

The person above described the magazine differences very well, personally I'd run mid caps, high caps are typically for newer players (from my POV.) plus Mid caps will not make sound because the spring is constantly putting pressure on the BB themselves, whereas space in the high caps mag will allow them to move around etc.

What do you guys prefer? Webbing or chest rigs?

I've purchased a WARRIOR CENTURION MK1 chest rig which has 8 integrated mag pouches on the front, mine had the back panel too fir my hydration pouch, I've added pistol pouches and an admin pouch on too for holding tools etc. Plus a radio pouch.

I had a fixed chest rig before and stole the belt off of that to put my pistol holster onto, and a fold able dump pouch onto, would highly recommend this set up.

You may want nade pouches too, as an under 18 softer, I can't legally use them, oh well.

How many magazines do you go into a skirmish with?

6 mid caps + a 450 round speed loader so you can reload on the field (Which is highly un-likely if you're not as eager on the trigger finger.) plus 3 pistol magazines which are double stacks (22 rounds)

What other gear do you take?

Multi-tool on my persona and a tool set (Screw drivers and allen keys etc) in my bag, so if anything breaks, I can get it sorted.

A Sling wrapped onto your rig, make sure it's not directly on your neck because it will cause alot of neck stress, at minimum wrap it around your neck with one arm through to reduce the stress on your neck, mine is completely wrapped onto my rig, so that takes the stress. It's also a Quick detach sling, so if I need to move fast I can take it off and pull out the pistol.

Hydration pack, playing long games means you're going to get thirsty, even though the water tastes like rubber, it keeps you cool and is worth it.

Dump pouch, so you're not fiddling around putting magazines back in their pouch and you know what's empty and what's not.

Protective gloves are cool too, my Oakley's cost me £35 but are comfy as hell and have great grip, as well as giving great knuckle protection.

Knee pads/elbow pads, not so much elbow pads, but knee pads will stop bricks and bb's sticking in your legs. I did find elbow pads great when I had my 249 because lying on your belly with your elbows on the floor stops alot of the stress on them.

A good pair of boots are a must, you're running around on your feet so keep them comfy as hell and make sure you've got adequate grip on them, trainers will kill your feet and slip off when running.

Twisters, these are around £2 for a pair, my ex-para stepdad recommended them to me and they're great, they're little ties that go around your boots and your trousers tuck into them.

Face protection, yes, I know this seems stupid for me saying it, but get some full seal goggles, whether they're mesh or a polycarbonate type, get some that have a full seal and are high quality, you only get 2 eyes and they don't grow back so protect them well! Personally I like mesh, herosharks are pretty damn amazing for their price.

I have a neoprene lower mask too which stops you having your teeth shot out, others prefer mesh lower masks, but neoprene tends to allow you to sight your gun easier, but you compensate in this for it heating up (Because when you're breathing out, there's not alot of room for air to escape etc, but you easily adapt.)

Head protection, whether it's a scarf, helmet or cap, this just stops you from getting branches and twigs caught in your hair.

For bigger events I like to take my binoculars, just to help me get a definite identification on the team's colour, sometimes it can be hard to distinguish what colour team someone's on. These aren't really needed but I love them.

That's all I can think of at the moment really. The best thing to do is pick people's brains on site, see what works for others etc, you will buy stuff and hate it because it does't suit you, it just happens. Have fun, quick question, where do you play?

Happy airsofting!

mag wise i use mid caps and carry a high cap or 2 as back up (for those times that i decide i just want to spam the trigger or cba to reload in between games)

as for carrying stuff i try and carry as little as possible (the safe zone is only a short walk away so tools, gas etc can be left there) i use a molle vest with 6 mag pouchs a utility pouch - i normaly carry grenades in this, a admin pouch with a pistol mag pouch (carry 2 i total 1 in gun 1 in pouch) drop leg holster for side arm. spare ammo goes in trouser cargo pocket

as for mtp vest id say good luck best bet would be to get some thing in multicam (they are very similar obviously) or tan/coyote brown or even olive drab will fit with the mtp pretty well.

I also use midcaps. I have 1 highcap that i have as a spare. But take out 7 mids, 450 round speed loader, 2 pistol mags and a 100 round speed loader.

My rig is a defcon 5 multicam Plate carrier with 2 double mag pouches, single mag pouch, double pistol mag pouch, admin panel, large utility pouch, hydro pouch, small utility pouch and a folding dump pouch. The PC also has a large pocket on the front that extra mags can in.

I like the fit and comfort of a PC over anything else.

I bought all the first bits of gear from the forums second hand. use to get into the sport and have now started getting better kit to keep.

Archived