SE Tour Review: Erebor: Black Ops (Surrey) (Closed)

Another player suggested patches instead of playing cards, on the basis that most people have velcro space somewhere on their kit and the patch can just be stuck on and ripped off rapidly.


You'd be best off with a 4" strip of bright coloured velcro rather than patches.

You could probably buy that on a roll and cut it to size.

 
That door will have cover from the hotel and directly in front, the guys are looking at the options.

I'll have a look, probably more durable than playing cards.
Cool.  That would be great.

Yeah.  I kept my cards in my pocket and they got a bit...soggy.  I can't seem them lasting long.  Definitely need something more durable.

 
I was also there on the 14th as part of George's unexpected crew - fantastic site and well run IMO.

I particularly liked the kill confirmed game as a more interesting spin on the usual "go shoot each other" format. The extra layer keeps it interesting while still providing quick pewpews. It felt like the gaps between games could have been a little shorter to give more game time, but "I want to play more" is about as scathing as I could be with the experience I had. Already trying to line up another date to come down (and for me that's all the way from the midlands FWIW)

 
And I'm back to never going.
There's a lot of hate on here for what is a great site. I think it would be speak for itself regardless of who was running the day (although as I said above I really can't fault the way it was run in any material way).

Don't knock it til you've tried it! You're only potentially missing out on fun!

 
There's a lot of hate on here for what is a great site. I think it would be speak for itself regardless of who was running the day (although as I said above I really can't fault the way it was run in any material way).

Don't knock it til you've tried it! You're only potentially missing out on fun!
It's not hate on the site, it's a dislike for Seth. Site might be good but it's far away, it's only 20~ players. I might as well go Hockley 

 
Fair enough, if you like big teams it's not for you, and distance is always a bugger! I quite like it small (feel I can have more of an impact), so suits me. Each to their own!
Not overly big, as sometimes it feels like you can't get anywhere, but 10 to a team is ridiculously small. As you said each to their own. 

 
Interesting, sounds like Pilgrims would be wrapping up the site entirely? You'd think getting that sweet sweet MOD/Met money from proper CTSFO training could support a warehouse like that. I have no clue how much rent/etc would be to run something like that though. Good try in any case!

 
Interesting, sounds like Pilgrims would be wrapping up the site entirely? You'd think getting that sweet sweet MOD/Met money from proper CTSFO training could support a warehouse like that. I have no clue how much rent/etc would be to run something like that though. Good try in any case!


That is how I am reading it. 

 
So this has pretty much already closed after being open a month? 


I believe that it will continue to stay open until either January or April depending. 

It really highlights how difficult it can be to keep a new site open. 

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Damn that's a real shame! Hopefully can get a few games in before it's gone for good though.

 
Interesting, sounds like Pilgrims would be wrapping up the site entirely?


Sounds that way - I wonder if 2+ airsoft games a week would make a difference. I would have thought it wouldn't be too difficult to find 10-20 players on a weeknight for a site that close to the Underground. I'd be interested to hear what @Seth_Erebor thinks the airsoft games would have to bring in to keep the site open - how much more would players be paying? It sounds to me like a much bigger issue than that, but who knows?

It seems crazy to shut down a facility like that when it's only just been built and clearly serious money has been spent on it. Maybe they'll be able to put the buildings into a new warehouse... Anyone got a warehouse going spare?

 
Sounds that way - I wonder if 2+ airsoft games a week would make a difference. I would have thought it wouldn't be too difficult to find 10-20 players on a weeknight for a site that close to the Underground. I'd be interested to hear what @Seth_Erebor thinks the airsoft games would have to bring in to keep the site open - how much more would players be paying? It sounds to me like a much bigger issue than that, but who knows?

It seems crazy to shut down a facility like that when it's only just been built and clearly serious money has been spent on it. Maybe they'll be able to put the buildings into a new warehouse... Anyone got a warehouse going spare?


There is a reason indoor airsoft sites in the south are derelict buildings. A good high bay warehouse is £12+ a sqft and that site is 17000 sqft or so I was told. That estimate of cost is the very low end as well.

The lease on anything near London is going to be very high and way out of the reach of airsoft financial returns. 

 
Damn, I was looking forward to trying it some time

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pilgrim has actually been open for years and despite what might be expected has actually not really seen a lot of use by either MOD or HO due to the fact that those who would most benefit the type of environment at pilgrim already have their own facilities for training .

Airsoft has only recently started at the site due to the academy needing more revenue streams with the wind down of activities it was designed for .

Hopefully plans are in place to see increased usage of the site so that airsoft among other activities can continue there but we shall see 

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Surely the people behind Pilgrim knew what was already available to MOD etc for training...It just seems a massive outlay for something that I can't work out who it is actually aimed at.

What were the activities it was designed for?

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top