New Batteries- Charge and Discharge 10 Times Before Use?

Henners
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys,

I was advised to charge and discharge new batteries fully 10 times before using them to get the best performance and life out of them...

Has anyone else heard of/practices this method?

Is it good/bad?

Thanks! :)

• AF-UK Founding Member

Heard some rumours. Wouldn't bother, never had an issue with lots and lots of batteries.

Main thing I've heard which I tend to stick to is to trickle/slow charge them for their first charge.

After that, do what you like.

Assuming we're talking about NiMH here?

Heard some rumours. Wouldn't bother, never had an issue with lots and lots of batteries.

Main thing I've heard which I tend to stick to is to trickle/slow charge them for their first charge.

After that, do what you like.

Assuming we're talking about NiMH here?

Yeah, NiMH,

Just trickle charge them? Charge I used is fixed at only 5A, and seems to 'Fast Charge' them for about 40 minutes, then a green light comes on but it doesn't specify whether the battery is fully charged or trickle charging as the green light is labelled simply 'Charged/Trickle Charging'- Any ideas?

Cheers

Henry

• AF-UK Founding Member

Not sure what charger you have then.. 5A is fast for most airsoft batteries. Personally I wouldn't charge at a rate over 1C, it's good practice if you ever make the switch to LiPo too.

By 1C, I mean if you have a 2000mah battery you charge at 2A, a 1600mah, 1.6A etc. etc. if you can't be that precise with your charger, I'd round down. So long as you aren't in a rush then you'll still have them done in 2 hours max.

Archived