Measuring FPS/Joules

If anyone wants a cheap way to measure fps/joules there is a piece of software here which is safe to use and free.

https://github.com/alanwestlake222/BB-Fps-Calc

Just click on the "Release" link on the middle right of the page.

Available for Windows or Linux. Would compile if for Macs but I haven't got access to one.

Many regards

Alternatively, you can use this formula in Excel or similar spreadsheet programme depending on whether you use feet per second or metres per second so you can see the workings of how kinetic energy is calculated

=1/2*(cell with weight in grams/1000)*(cell with speed in fps/3.28084)^2

=1/2*(cell with weight in grams/1000)*(cell with speed in m/s)^2

You can. It's what I normally do actually. I also take account of the speed of sound and distance to the microphone to get the number for fps, to try and get an accurate measurement. It's getting the fps figure in the first place that people might stuggle with if you don't have the equipment. 

Also, some people aren't great with excel so thought this utility would help.

Thanks for the reply.

Web based calculators for me, faster by a long way and no typing if you use voice in google or any of the other assistants if you are after converting one thing to another.

Excel is not really for this kind of thing, unless you always have it open or are automating such conversions for some reason.

Can't argue with that :)

I couldn't find much online for helping to calculate the fps value from the recorded sound wave. That's what I was thinking with this one. So you record the sound with Audacity then you put in your numbers. If you know the fps you can calculate the energy in joules easily enough online but it's getting that fps figure in the first place.

I've got two phone apps I use for this, to make it easy if it's for a weight or power I haven't memorised.

First is the Airsoft ballistics calculator, that one just lets you find the power of a specified weight BB at whatever velocity you get.

Second is/was called FPS calc basic.

This one works in reverse, where you put in the required joule limit and it'll show you what the FPS limits will be for a large variety of BB weights.

I don't know if this one is still available to download as a quick look on the app store didn't immediately bring it up.

Lumii_20240901_184125791.jpg

Lumii_20240901_184553028.jpg