1911 issue?

Reef

I’ve just bought my first gas pistol and am having an issue. It’s a TM MEU 1911

The first few mag worth of BB’s I put through the gun worked fine. Now I’m starting to have issues where the blow back is not working and not loading the next BB, I have to manually cock it it get it going again. It will then work for a few shots and stop again. The slide will also not retract when the mag is empty.

Before I take it back to the shop, could I be doing something wrong? I’ve looked at a few YouTube videos and I’m not convinced I’ve been putting gas in the magazine correctly as I seem to get a lot of gas escaping. Also the gas will only last for one load of BB’s and I’ve heard there should be enough gas for another reload.

Any thoughts?

On a side note I love the gun, I went in the shop to buy a Glock 17 or Beretta M9, they guy in the shop handed me the 1911 and it really felt right.

Posted (edited)

1911's have terrible gas capacity. TMs are the best 1911 because of the low weight plastic slide, but even TMs struggle to fire more than a single loads worth of bb's.

It's likely you will need to lube the slide as TMs can be quite dry out of the box. A dry slide will also increase gas usage to persuade a dry slide to move.

Also if you are constantly firing it in a short amount of time, the mags and gas get very cold, which means it gets far weaker and prevent the slide from locking back. The warmer the mags, the higher power the gas inside is.

TMs do not have silent fill valves so gas does escape when filling. This is perfectly normal.

------------

Lube the slide with silicon oil, don't constantly use 1911 gas pistols with rapid fire and I am sure it will lock back on empty every time. 

Readjust your expectations, 1911s are cool, but the small gas capacity has always been a problem and you will need to regas for every load of bb's you fire. 

Edited by Asomodai

Thank you for the quick reply Asomodai,

The problem was happening when I had just filled the magazine and started shooting right away, the mag was really cold. I’ll refill and let the mag warm up before shooting and see the difference. 

I did take the slide off and thought it looked dry but don’t know enough to to be sure. I do have silicone oil so will lube it and see. Is there any areas to be wary of when lubing it up?

Thanks again