Umarex HK416 A5 AEG Honest Opinions

Kb24

(assuming Umarex = VFC)

Nah.   Luke at Negative Airsoft hates VFC AEGs with a vengeance 

I'm a massive fanboi of VFC gas blowbacks, based on my own 416 A5, and my longing for a VFC MP7, but I wouldn't buy one of their AEGs because I trust Luke's opinion

I had one for a little while. I would say it was a very well built AEG. Probably the best stock externals I’ve seen for a 416.

The stock mosfet is like most stock mosfets and is pretty poor. I would look to replace it with a perun hybrid, gate aster or titan.

The rest of the stock components are pretty decent with the exception of the spring which is where they get downgraded for the UK market.

The factory quick change spring system is pretty good, it’s often misunderstood that you need to unscrew the buffer tube to get at it (negative airsoft did this on one of his videos) but it’s not necessary and VFC also started to thread lock them in after a while.

They are essentially Marui’s V2 AR system with a few tweaks. Lots of upgrades that fit and I would say the retro arms gearbox shell seems to have been designed especially for this gun. If you ever see them together, you’ll see what I mean. 

i think VFC get a bad reputation for their internals and being bad to work on. I think this is (as above) largely due to negative airsoft, but you have to remember for every one that’s on his bench there’s probably hundreds out there that are just fine. Also worth noting, I’d imagine a lot of the stuff that ends up on his bench is because someone else has tried to do the work and made a mess of it. He has clearly had this on several occasions, I’d imagine few people own up to this being the case.

Whilst I respect his opinion, he generally doesn’t like higher priced replicas like these and his opinions on things regularly change from one extreme to the other. 

I only got rid of mine as it was an impulse buy during Covid and I wasn’t using it, mostly as I have so many other guns (mostly GBBRs) and I wasn’t playing much. 

A close friend of mine also has the Avalon, which is basically the same Gun. He upgraded it (13:1 gears, gate titan and high torque motor) with little effort and he doesn’t do tech work regularly.

Edited by jackd787

5 hours ago, jackd787 said:

i think VFC get a bad reputation for their internals and being bad to work on. I think this is (as above) largely due to negative airsoft, but you have to remember for every one that’s on his bench there’s probably hundreds out there that are just fine. Also worth noting, I’d imagine a lot of the stuff that ends up on his bench is because someone else has tried to do the work and made a mess of it. He has clearly had this on several occasions, I’d imagine few people own up to this being the case.

Whilst I respect his opinion, he generally doesn’t like higher priced replicas like these and his opinions on things regularly change from one extreme to the other. 

This is a very fair point and there's another thread on the forum where someone loves their 416 AEG.   I was very close to buying a used one from Acton Hobbies, because the externals are so good, but chickened out in the end.  YMMV... it's down to luck in the end, but that's the case with most airsoft RIFs tbh!