CYMA Platinum SLR Rifleworks AK-74 hop troubles

Hi all,

I recently picked up (financed the fuck out of) a CYMA Plat AK74 with the SLR rifleworks handguard and stock on it, and while it's been pretty dependable and honestly a lovely gun over the last 3 months of ownership (apart from it contracting selector-itis in last Sunday's outing, which is a shame but at the end of the day, it's an AK and they all do that eventually) I've been struggling with one particular aspect, that being the hop unit. It's some in-built tracer afair with your standard AK slide adjustment but it seems to either have 0.28s not hop at all, or end up hopping much higher than the point of aim and there doesn't seem to be a way to get it to place nice with some sort of inbetween so I've just had to adjust and re-zero to the fact that the hop's flying them upwards.

So, after deciding to get my feet wet and order some stuff to do my first few rounds of hop changing and general ""tech work"" in the UTR I decided to grab a second for the AK in the hopes of fixing the aforementioned issue. A few stuborn knurled pins later and the unit's out, but CYMA have decided to glue/threadlock the hop plug and clip in so you can't get it off?

Spoiler

IMG_5139.jpg?ex=660dad42&is=65fb3842&hm=7c5971d4b3f71652110759e83630a9175e37f3d9ebdd84510fffe699cc496977&

IMG_5140.jpg?ex=660dad42&is=65fb3842&hm=592cbb3852b1d6ecff45b6fd875d6ff00e14f5af7a306cb8ff67eece5b21f833&

Any pointers? I didn't want to start applying heat using a hairdryer or similar considering the board's there without at least asking around first. Thanks!

Maybe unscrew the board so you can apply some heat with it out the way?

How well does the hop unit work btw? I have the Dytac SLR which is the older model but identical

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, strykerles said:

Maybe unscrew the board so you can apply some heat with it out the way?

Good idea, I'll give it some thought tomorrow if I can be bothered going through the misery of getting those pins in and out again

5 hours ago, strykerles said:

How well does the hop unit work btw? I have the Dytac SLR which is the older model but identical

Like mentioned in the OP, it's a little inconsistent at times as it'll underhop a 0.28 pretty obviously, and then you move it a micron and it'll start overhopping, hence the desire to change out the rubber - it tends to self adjust sometimes but in terms of feeding and reliability it's been pretty flawless. The in-built tracer unit seems to work pretty well too.

Spoiler

I'm in two minds about just taking this barrel setup out all together, and keeping it as a 'night game' setup (as we're locked to 0.2g at our site's nightgames, so what's unhopping a 0.28 will probably work perfectly fine) and then throwing in a longer barrel and a rotary style hop for normal games so I can run my PBS-1 without ammo chipping/splitting inside it, although that'll cost a fortune and I'm still trying to justify paying near triple digits for a new stock as I'm not too big of a fan of the SLR one on the AK-74 (as it's fucking monolithic on the front length wise with such a tiny stock)

Edited by pyromancer6