The gutless wonder...

Egon_247

So. I've landed a maruzen L96. For not a lot of beer tokens. Win.

When I loaded and lobbed a couple of 0.28's down the garden to try it out, I was a tad underwhelmed. Ok, it needs love. Most 2nd hand things do. 🤣

Started stripping it down and there appears an airsoftpro trigger unit. Happy days. 

Unscrewed the rest of it and apart from half a can of silicone, there's an airsoftpro spring, spring guide, piston and hop unit. Win again.

The hop rubber and nub were an unknown so changed out for maple leaf 75' and omega nub, but on the table in front of me was a small dented brass ring. 

On researching wtf this thing was, as I thought it was like the aeg barrel steady, it appears to be a sealing ring that goes over the hop rubber. 

Would this work with the maple?

Puts it all back together and time for a Chrono. Yay. 230fps with a .28. 🤣🤣

Hmm. 

The piston appears to hold it's own when doing a leak down test but the air is just farting out somewhere when you get the nozzle back into the hop unit. 

The cylinder and head/nozzle is still standard OEM. Could it be that either the little ring needs to go on and the hop to nozzle is not compatible?

Any ideas chaps?

Does the ring have a place on the old hop rubber? You should be able to see where it was, compare the 2 hops and put it back? Failing that some dental floss maybe.

Oh also see what the fit is like nozzle to bucking...

Edited by Sewdhull

8 minutes ago, Sewdhull said:

Does the ring have a place on the old hop rubber? You should be able to see where it was, compare the 2 hops and put it back? Failing that some dental floss maybe.

Oh also see what the fit is like nozzle to bucking..

The ring was just sat on the barrel under where the two (missing!) Grub screws that hold onto the barrel were supposed to be. Replaced them.

I'm. Kinda new to spring flingers, are the heads/nozzles interchangeable? It goes in ok. You can feel some resistance as the bolt goes home.

I'll give the ring a go and see if I can get the two to play nice. 👍

Ain't no way that ring and hop will play. Got some dental floss around it.

A bit better. Still not setting the world on fire. 

Might look at a new cylinder and head. Maybe the airsoftpro hop and the Oem nozzle aren't suited.

PXL_20240220_111545407.jpg

Edited by Egon_247

28 minutes ago, Sewdhull said:

Back in the day ppl added heatshink to the nozzle to fatten it up.

I've an mb01 here somewhere...

That ain't a bad shout. 🤔👍😁

I definitely think it's nozzle related, with a bit of heat shrink over it, I've cleared the 1j barrier....😁🤣

I've measured the nozzle at 5.9mm and 19mm long. Maybe the o ring in the airsoftpro hop is worn. 

Just ordered a new set of orings and a cylinder head, all in airsoft pro flavour so hopefully it'll all marry up when it arrives. 😁🤞

Just now, Sewdhull said:

Spring might be dead ofcourse

I had two new springs given to me by a mate. Hopefully they're ok. 🤣

Would a goosed barrel lose that much fps? It did look like someone had taken a dump down it before I cleaned it 🤣

Barrel changed out for my spare Aug one and no improvement. Binned the old one as there was a rough spot halfway down it. Hmm.

Next up is the head and o rings when they arrive. 

Head was the wrong diameter and the o ring didn't help.

I'm going off springies. 

So. New hop unit arrived. Airsoftpro v3 for the L96 and ahhh, that's better. 

Still using 0.28's at the moment until I'm happy with the consistency. 

That's with no hop on a shitty hop rubber as the old unit had punched a hole in the brand new 75' maple leaf. 😡

PXL_20240224_203613694.jpg

Be warned whilst it works the Airsoftpro has no built in barrel to hop unit alignment so it's 100% on the user to make everything align (i.e centre the hop rubber so it hops straight)

I've got one and it works well once it's set correctly but avoid touching it unless needed or you can test again before gameday.

I find drawing a line continuing the hop rubber alignment grove up the barrel helps line it up with the mag catch screw mount to ensure it's all lined up well.

11 hours ago, Speedy Sloth said:

Be warned whilst it works the Airsoftpro has no built in barrel to hop unit alignment so it's 100% on the user to make everything align (i.e centre the hop rubber so it hops straight)

I've got one and it works well once it's set correctly but avoid touching it unless needed or you can test again before gameday.

I find drawing a line continuing the hop rubber alignment grove up the barrel helps line it up with the mag catch screw mount to ensure it's all lined up well.

Yeah, i noticed that while putting it on. I used a bit of masking tape and extended  the groove line out a bit. 

It needs a clip too, rather than the two teeny tiny grub screws, so you can actually see the slots, rather than guesstimating it and then having to look down the barrel at the hop patch to see if its straight!!  Still, its in now. Just a matter of magazines that dont jump out when you cock it and getting a suspension spring off a truck in the cylinder to make it do 2J.... :D 

4 hours ago, Sewdhull said:

Again back in the day we added spacers to precompress the springs...

Already have some spacers I've made up at work, so hopefully I can get it over the 2j mark and then see how heavy I need my balls. 🤣

That's better. 👍😁

PXL_20240302_145103657.jpg