Battery upgrade for L85A2 (ICS)

BoozaPit

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I’m about to do a battery upgrade for my (stock) ICS L85A2. My choice would be a li-ion battery. Firstly, could it be both 7,4V and 11,1V? Or is the latter too much for this weapon? Secondly, brick or nunchuck? What say you?

https://titanbatteries.eu/collections/11-1v-airsoft-packs-v7/products/3000mah-11-1v-brick-tamiya

https://titanbatteries.eu/collections/11-1v-airsoft-packs-v7/products/3000mah-11-1v-nunchuck-tamiya

Mine over spins and locks sporadically on 11.1 so stick with 7.4's would be my advice - the ROF is still enough to dominate if you have the accuracy.

This is what I have to go in my A3 - https://www.bztactical.co.uk/nuprol-2200mah-7-4v-lipo-stick

Not necessarily from that website though.  

Edited by Dan Robinson

I’ve got a 9.9v LiFe in mine.  Gives a bit more pace than a 7.4v LiPo, but doesn’t stress anything like a 11.1v LiPo

I can thoroughly recommend a Warhead motor as a first upgrade though.  The standard ICS motor is slow and thirsty, whereas the Warhead motors give snappier trigger response and don’t drain the battery too much.  I’ve done 4000 rounds on a 1000mah battery and not had any issues, and suspect I could probably have squeezed another 1500 out of it

2 hours ago, Duff Beer said:

I’ve got a 9.9v LiFe in mine.  Gives a bit more pace than a 7.4v LiPo, but doesn’t stress anything like a 11.1v LiPo

I can thoroughly recommend a Warhead motor as a first upgrade though.  The standard ICS motor is slow and thirsty, whereas the Warhead motors give snappier trigger response and don’t drain the battery too much.  I’ve done 4000 rounds on a 1000mah battery and not had any issues, and suspect I could probably have squeezed another 1500 out of it

Have you a link to this motor?  Not sure that I want a higher ROF, but a better trigger response would be nice.

You're definitely right about it being thirsty though! 

Edited by Dan Robinson

8 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Have you a link to this motor?  Not sure that I want a higher ROF, but a better trigger response would be nice.

You're definitely right about it being thirsty though! 

I’ve got a Standard Black Motor (https://www.warheadindustries.com/warhead-industries-brushless-motor) which is slightly more expensive, but if I truly honest with myself the Base Motor would have been fine.  The Ronin Motor is the best, but I’d be surprised if I saw the difference in cost between that and a Black Motor in performance

6 hours ago, Sewdhull said:

Relays? Omg

If you think about it...all a MOSFET is really, is a mini relay that can operate at higher frequencies.   Someone the ones I have for work are rated at millions of operations too.

1 hour ago, Sewdhull said:

low resistance relay with an unlimited life

Oh I wish....  they've been the cause of some very expensive repairs to power toys.

Edited by Dan Robinson

Problems with MOSFETs are pretty much issues with not switching them on properly or a poor circuit if it's not a simple switch. Also user error, which has been how I've ruined stuff on drones and planes.

For example the 3034 MOSFETs are not fully on with 7.4v, increasing its power dissipation and cooking it. You want 10v really, but it varies between devices.

Since I've never seen an Airsoft gun with a heatsink the heat dissipation is terrible.

Also the units tend to parallel the MOSFETs creating other issues and the insides of a gearbox is a poor environment for a circuit board.

I'd like to see the sensors inside the gearbox and the rest outside.

I rambled, sorry

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.