Building a motor

LazzurusMan

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, I have a knackered infinity 30k, a knackered stockares motor, and a stock G&G motor.

Could I use the three to build something using the magnets from the infinity motor and the shaft etc from one of the stock motors?

Perfect, that might save me some cash so I can get my amoeba mutant working before the 24th!

Had a spare hour this afternoon, so had a go at reusing a short SHS High-Speed motor with a long shaft armature from a 'generic' stock ferrite motor for giggles.

The results (so far) have impressed me - You basically end up with something like a 28TPA-ish High-Torque motor. A bit lethargic on 7.4v, but with an 11.1v it's got excellent trigger response, decent ROF (approx) 18-20rps with an 18:1 gear set, but runs very cool, which implies a low Amp draw.

It was definitely worth a punt. Just make sure you shim the armature to minimise shaft movement (oooh...errr!).

image.png.63252054b6462e116ea8ca44b33efb10.png

image.png.6f4b72a4f6db043218e0e0e3caeeab26.png

Edited by Speedbird_666

21 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Had a spare hour this afternoon, so had a go at reusing a short SHS High-Speed motor with a long shaft armature from a 'generic' stock ferrite motor for giggles.

The results (so far) have impressed me - You basically end up with something like a 28TPA-ish High-Torque motor. A bit lethargic on 7.4v, but with an 11.1v it's got excellent trigger response, decent ROF (approx) 18-20rps with an 18:1 gear set, but runs very cool, which implies a low Amp draw.

It was definitely worth a punt. Just make sure you shim the armature to minimise shaft movement (oooh...errr!).

image.png.63252054b6462e116ea8ca44b33efb10.png

image.png.6f4b72a4f6db043218e0e0e3caeeab26.png

Unfortunately it seems the infinity can I have isn't compatible with the end bell off my slower motors, as they seem to screw down differently. But if a ball ache as the only reason I wanted to try this is to save money after the madness inside my stock Ares motor BROKE. As in, part of the magnet was stopping the armature from spinning. I have a stock g&g motor I can use for now, but something tells me it won't like to pull a 120 spring with 13.1 gears 🤣

First picture is the asg infinity can I wanted to use, you can see that but if metal that makes it a difficult one to reuse. The second picture is the stock Ares motor that you can see decided to break. I can't begin to explain why or how.

IMG20220712134242.jpg

IMG20220712134231.jpg

1 minute ago, LazzurusMan said:

Unfortunately it seems the infinity can I have isn't compatible with the end bell off my slower motors, as they seem to screw down differently. But if a ball ache as the only reason I wanted to try this is to save money after the madness inside my stock Ares motor BROKE. As in, part of the magnet was stopping the armature from spinning. I have a stock g&g motor I can use for now, but something tells me it won't like to pull a 120 spring with 13.1 gears 🤣

Why are you swapping the Infinity motor end bell? Is it lost/broken? If it's a broken tab you might be able to remove and swap out the metal plate (that has the tab and brush mount) from another motor.

You *might* also be able to remove the magnets from the Infinity and put them in the Ares, it depends on if/how they are glued to the can. 

G&G have been shipping different motors in guns (e.g. the IFRIT 22tpa) - but I'm guessing that you are referring to the  low-end 18k Ferrite motor which is pretty useless for your application.

25 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Why are you swapping the Infinity motor end bell? Is it lost/broken? If it's a broken tab you might be able to remove and swap out the metal plate (that has the tab and brush mount) from another motor.

You *might* also be able to remove the magnets from the Infinity and put them in the Ares, it depends on if/how they are glued to the can. 

G&G have been shipping different motors in guns (e.g. the IFRIT 22tpa) - but I'm guessing that you are referring to the  low-end 18k Ferrite motor which is pretty useless for your application.

Its from an old, probably nearly 10 years, cm16 raider, so it'll be low end.
I did manage to fix the infinity end bell, so all I need to do now is somehow remove the pinions off the infinity and the ares motor, then swap the shafts over. IF I can find a way to do so without a special tool.

10 minutes ago, LazzurusMan said:

. IF I can find a way to do so without a special tool.

I've hear a vice and a Drift Pin/Punch might be able to do it, but I've always used an Element Pinion Puller/Installer that I picked up 10+years ago which makes light work of the job. 

Good luck. Hopefully you'll have a usable motor out of it. 

So me and my godfather got the two motors apart, and the magnets were cracked and fell apart.

Anyone got any suggestions for the right motor for trigger response using 13.1 short stroked gears, a slightly cut down sp120 spring, Ares efcs and 11.1 lipos? Can't figure out if an shs hi torque would do it, or if I'd be better off with a 22+TPA motor.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.