changing rails and outer barrels - AR-15 platform

mimozine
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi guys, need to pick your brains again. seen a front end kit i like. complete set of outer barrel, rail set etc. was wondering if all kits fit all guns? not sure which of my guns i would like to fit it on right now but would be nice to know i dont have to buy another gun for it. oh its for ar15 platform.

thx

Basically no. Not all bits will fit all guns.... and AR = assault rifle which is a squillion different guns. You need to state what type of AR, brand AEG and model it is as well as what part you want to fit.

edited.

• Supporters

hi guys, need to pick your brains again. seen a front end kit i like. complete set of outer barrel, rail set etc. was wondering if all kits fit all guns? not sure which of my guns i would like to fit it on right now but would be nice to know i dont have to buy another gun for it. oh its for ar15 platform.

thx

Yeah you need to post a lot more detail. As far as AEGs go, there's a couple of different types of fitment spec for outer barrels and at least 2-3 commonly used types of thread on the upper receiver for different types of barrel nuts to be aware of when fitting freefloat rails.

Basically no. Not all bits will fit all guns.... and AR = assault rifle which is a squillion different guns. You need to state what type of AR, brand AEG and model it is as well as what part you want to fit.

Never heard of that abbreviation. AR = AR-15, never known of anyone using that in a different fashion.

• Supporters

AFAIK, KA use standard Marui AEG spec threads, but a lot of Ares AEG uppers are RS spec threaded. Now when you cut an AEG to RS spec you only remove material (done that a fair few times myself) rather than totally changing the thread pitch, so in theory airsoft barrel nuts should go on RS uppers. But ideally you need to hunt down someone with your gun (or one from the same line made recently) who's changed their front end and ask them what they used and how it went.

Alternatively of course ask the retailer in question, they'll probably not know for sure but if they say yes to get a sale you can always return the kit based on that e-mail if things don't go together.

• Supporters

ICS are known to use a proprietary thread, then at least Systema and WE (and ARES) use the real firearm spec. Everyone else I know of uses the normal/original TM airsoft spec but I hardly own every manufacturer or gun type to try them all out, this is just info I've compiled as best as I can over the years from my own experience modifying airsoft ARs and reading tech forums as much as possible.

Archived