S&T/ Ares H&K G36C Differences & Modification Help

Chris_B
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello fellow Airsofters,

New to the forum, but not new to the airsoft world

Currently upgrading my S&T (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) Umarex H&K G36C to either a G36KV or G36E (Haven't decided yet)

however, as there are many makes of this particular gun, aesthetic parts can prove difficult when there are so many variations and designs of this particular gun.

I won't waffle on, but I'm not keen on just extending my stock and yet cheap plastic G36C barrel and handguard to either the 'K' or 'E' version. I can see that there are front sets that you can buy, e.g. G&P GP497 front set which includes the 'K' version hand guard with 4 cooling vents, barrel extension with flash hider and the RIS grip.

My S&T G36C's design and build is very similar to that of the Ares version, but Ares have a better quality gun due to design and the parts used, for instance, a quick change metal outer barrel that's easily taken out with the barrel nut screw.

As I want to be able to have this function on my G36, I want to change some components in able for me to keep true to the G36KV or E design and build.

As you can see from the images attached, the first lot are pulled from web searches of this so you can see what I am on about. The next lot of camera snaps are of my disassembled G36C,

As you can see from mine, its all plastic, the plastic barrel slides out and has a fake plastic barrel 'Nut'. When the plastic barrel is pulled out, it has 4 locating splines, and the Ares has like 8 or 10, (I couldn't make out from google images)

I thought about buying an Ares G36K barrel and either cutting or dremeling some of the splines off, or milling in extra splines into my stock plastic hop-up to outer barrel housing unit.

My option at this moment is to buy a complete Ares upper receiver, and I do believe that the Ares upper receiver is all one piece fiber reinforced plastic, but looking at the Ares exploded parts illustration (Part C16) below it's hard to tell if the outer barrel thread is fixed into the upper receiver, and mine splits into 2 halves.

I have contacted Ares parts dept. for a quote on the upper receiver, as I have in the past managed to get the metal dummy gas block/ dust cover and a recoil slide to get the blowback working on my G36C.

My only issue with this is that i don't know weather the threaded part that the outer barrel nut screws onto comes with the upper receiver or weather that is a separate part that comes out on the Ares version. The part I'm referring to is the one that's the triangular plastic block in my camera pictures that interfaces the hop-up unit to the outer barrel.

And before anyone says it, I know its cheaper to just buy an Ares G36 (which would be simpler) but as I don't go airsofting regularly, I need to update my UKARA. Besides money Isn't an issue and it's a project.

If anyone has an Ares G36 upper receiver (with the barrel thread installed) I would be most interested

Any ideas or insight to this i would be greatly appreciative.

Chris

Archived