Internal Barrel Diameters

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

While exploring the option of a custom DMR build, a lot of feedback was given. I'd like to create an individual thread for this topic because it is theoretically applicable to all types of airsoft weapons:

Traditionally, a small inner diameter is considered more accurate, by limiting the amount of projectile trajectory deviation prior to the BB leaving the gun. However, there was also mention of wider bore barrels being used, that create an air pocket around the BB and then supposedly eliminating the projectile trajectory deviation prior to the BB leaving the gun.

Can I invite people for their thoughts, experiences, opinions, research?

Just use the best quality barrel, the diameter (if fps variance is compensated for) really makes no real difference.

I'd suggest a PDI 6.05mm barrel with it's length suited to your set-up's porting on an AEG.

WBBs only really make any sense in gas guns as they massively over volume.

TBBs only serve to increase fps (which obviously will add some range) but if you are already at your site limit for the class of gun that would be useless to you. TBB can also initiate joule creep in gas/hpa set ups, this could if the set up allowed mean that a 0.2g BB would chrono at a site legal 400fps but when a 0.3g BB was used it would still chrono at 400fps meaning it was way hot (and dangerous) -

0.2g @ 400 = 1.49j

0.3g @ 400 = 2.23j

0.2g @ 2.23j = 490fps

This debate has been going on for years. The only thing that's consistent time and time again.....Bore quality is king, alongside consistency and a good hop set up.

Any decent barrel of a high quality will do well, EdGi being one of the best, PDI, Laylax, ZCI (someone will come along and argue, but they really are good and airsoft mechanics have done testing)

Archived