Battery advice

broklebean
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

I have a 1600Mah 8.4v battery for my ICS M4 it's currently in a battery/laser box on the side of the gun, I'm going to re wire to put the battery in the stock. And was thinking of upgrading the battery if I did this battery upgrade will I get problems with the AEG? Or will it need tuning I'm not sure what the FPS is at the moment

If you want to stick with Nimh batteries like the one you have, assuming it's a relatively new ICS (within a few years old) then it'll take a 9.6v no problem - they all have metal bushings and upgraded wiring from the original models several years ago (although I'm so old I can't remember when they upgraded them all!). 9.6v will give you a faster rate of fire than 8.4v, although I used to find that my ICS M4s all had a decent enough rate of fire for me with 8.4v batteries. The battery doesn't effect FPS, only the rate of fire/rounds per second. Mah figure is how long it'll last before it goes flat.

You may want to change over to Lipo depending on your budget - but you'll need a Lipo specific charger. Don't listen to the horror stories - if you charge them properly and don't stab them with pointy things they are perfectly fine.

I now use 7.4v 1300mah stock tube lipo batteries in all my ICS guns. Gives a rate of fire somewhere between 8.4v and 9.6v Nimah but they are physically tiny, so you can have whatever stock you want. If you stick to 7.4v your gun will be fine on them without modification (although I'd recommend getting the connectors swapped over to Deans as the stock mini Tamiya aren't great!). If you want to go for silly rates of fire then 11.1v will work, but you'd probably want a rewire and mosfet to handle the extra oomph!

Brilliant that's great advice thanks mate. The AEG is only 2 year old at the most. I think I'm more concerned about battery life so a bigger mah is good I think I will also go for a 9.6v I'm happy with the rate of fire I have at the moment but if I'm going to be buying a new battery I may as well upgrade slightly just didn't want to have lots of problems if I changed battery

Archived