What lube to put where?

Techno
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Got some Abbey silicone spray recently from ebay but when it arrived it said 'not for metal to metal lubrication' so im now wondering whether its ok for the barrel and hop up, and gbb internals. Is it alright or did I waste a fiver?

In response to the title, water based lube for mi....I mean uh...

Anyway, all joking aside, silicone oil is good for gas guns to keep the seals dry and putting on the OUTSIDE of the hop rubber if it's a tight fit. Also good for the slides on gas pistols and putting new canisters in CO2 pistols etc.

Bar that, you'll want Lithium grease or so for the metal on metal parts

my mates got a metal slide and metal outer barrel. is the silicone spray okay for that? and what about the barrel?

Not really. Metal on metal needs a moly type grease for best results. Car grease in very small amounts would be best for that situation.

Got some Abbey silicone spray recently from ebay but when it arrived it said 'not for metal to metal lubrication' so im now wondering whether its ok for the barrel and hop up, and gbb internals. Is it alright or did I waste a fiver?

A good rule of thumb is to remember that oil/petrolium based lubricants are great for lubricating metal to metal contact, but they will degrade plasctic and rubbers. (Incidentally, WD-40 is a penertating fluid intended to free up seized metal-to-metal contact, it is NOT intended to be used as a lubricant.)

Silicone-based lubricants are great for plastics and rubbers.

So if you have plastic to-plastic contact, or plastic to metal contact, a silicone lubricant is not a problem.

But if you want to lubricate metal-to-metal contact, silicone spray won't serve you well.

It's worth noting that oils and greases come in a wide range of viscosities, so if you put too heavy a grease in your AEG gears, whilst they won't wear out, you will slow them down and make your motor work harder. I'd be tempted to try TF2 lithium grease which I use on my bike, but having NEVER done any servicing on an AEG, I won't suggest you try it without checking with someone who knows more about AEGs than I do. Which is pretty much anyone else! ;)

I'm a sniper kinda guy so theres only three points to lube: barrel, hop up and bolt. The bolt uses lithium grease and the hop up and barrel uses silicone spray.

Is this all correct or am I a bit of an idiot?

Archived