Deans Connectors & NiMH Batteries

Smitho1990
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I have read that replacing ones Tamiya connectors with Deans' can improve performance.

I did a quick search and this seems to be the case when using a Lipo battery.

I need to cut my tamiya connector soon anyway, to remove my buffer tube (cranestock setup - gap isn't big enough to fit tamiya through)

Is it worth me replacing all my connectors to Deans connectors at the same time? I am running an 8.4v NiMH battery.

I hope I wrote this out correctly, because I really don't understand electrics!

Thanks in advance

Turns out I can take it apart with cutting connectors... but is it worth doing, anyway? :)

Yep definitely, but you need to do any/all or none for it to make any difference.

You might want to consider changing all the wires to at least 16awg while yer in there if they are only thin at the moment as well :)

Yes, good idea to change. You can get the Deans connectors from Componentshop.com, plus wire, etc. When soldering the wires on, the usual method is to connect the red wire to the cross part of the T (if you look at them it looks like a split T) and the black to the upright. Get a good hot soldering iron, as you don't want too much heat on the wires or connectors for too long, as the Deans plastic can melt.

• AF-UK Founding Member

As above. Remember you need connectors for chargers too.

A lump of blutack is great for sticking the connectors down. If you join a pair of connectors together it gives you more to stick too. It also reduces your chances of damaging the connectors.

Archived