Broken Motor Connector Wires - Help

davidcoops
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys I'm new here. I've broken the connectors that go onto the motor. I've tried replacing them myself but just broke them again in the process. See attached photo of where I'm at now.

Can anyone guide me through what I should do to fix these now? I want to learn this so I know it again for the future.

Many thanks in advance.

cables.JPG

You can buy the connectors from Maplins. You then need to carefully crimp, using a crimp tool or carefully with a set of pliers, then solder then to the wire to reinforce the connection. While you are at maplins buy a small amount of heat shrink to put onto the wire first, which can be pulled down and shrunk over the solder/connector with a hairdryer.

So equipment wise you need

soldering iron

solder

connectors

heat shrink

crimp tool or pliers

Thanks mate! Appreciate you clarifying this. For some reason I cant find one tutorial online, youtube or otherwise. So really appreciate your help.

Quite a lot of gear needed for such a small job, but I'll bite the BB and go grab this stuff this week. Thanks again!

Best, coops

Tools arriving slowly, nearly have all I need.

Next problem is I cannot find replacements for the grip screws. That go inside the grip to hold it to the gearbox/lower. I thought these were the same screws that you use to screw in external drives in a PC, but after finally buying those the thread is different. Ive searched the net for hours now, my investigation skills must suck. Do you know what size/number/thread/name these screws have please?

Best,

Coops.

The thing is apparently they are just M3 3mm, but I have these already and the thread isnt tight enough. So I dont know what they would be called... ;(

The thing is apparently they are just M3 3mm, but I have these already and the thread isnt tight enough. So I dont know what they would be called... ;(

They should be M3, as I bought a box of them from Maplins to replace some missing screws on a couple of my V2 gearboxes and the fit fine. PM me your address and I'll drop a couple in the post to you. And no, they're not quite the same as PC screws.

• 2 weeks later...
They should be M3, as I bought a box of them from Maplins to replace some missing screws on a couple of my V2 gearboxes and the fit fine. PM me your address and I'll drop a couple in the post to you. And no, they're not quite the same as PC screws.

Thanks for the offer!! Very nice of you! I actually live in Germany. But managed to find some that finally work. Got 100 off ebay for just a euro.

For anyone else they were M3 6mm. The length is very important... as I had M3 shorter length and they dont go all the way some grips and connect.

Thanks again for the offer of posting me some! Very kind.

Archived