Small Detail Painting

AstonAirsoft
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking for some tips for painting small details such a engravings and emblems. 

I did this (see pic below) using miniature figurine paint and wiping off the excess using nail Polish remover. Worked a treat and love how it's turned out, but tried this with a pistol of mine and quickly realised that I was wiping off the base paint too.

I kinda need to respray the pistol anyway as its been battered around a bit so was wondering if theres any paints that won't wipe off so easily? 

DSC_0431.JPG

Looking for some tips for painting small details such a engravings and emblems. 

I did this (see pic below) using miniature figurine paint and wiping off the excess using nail Polish remover. Worked a treat and love how it's turned out, but tried this with a pistol of mine and quickly realised that I was wiping off the base paint too.

I kinda need to respray the pistol anyway as its been battered around a bit so was wondering if theres any paints that won't wipe off so easily? 

If I'm detailing a figure I'll use acrylic for the base costs before sealing with a varnish. Then I use oil based washes which you can wipe off with a cotton bud. Not really all that applicable to detailing the relief on a gun!

The problem with nail varnish remover is that it contains acetone which takes off a lot of stuff. Don't put it any where near plastic components as it will dissolve some types (ABS, PVC). You can use an enamel paint, fine brush and car brake and clutch cleaner as a solvent to clean up any mistakes before they dry.

You might try paint markers instead of paint & brush,  something like these http://www.cultpens.com/c/q/brands/uni-ball/uni-markers/uni-posca-markers.   The paint markers will rub off unless sealed in with a bit of varnish.

Was the pistol a glossy/semi glossy surface by any chance?   It might have needed keying/priming so the paint could stick in the ruts.

The original paint on the pistol is a flat black sort if finish, not quite matte black. I would upload a pic but it's hard to show on a picture with it being black. 

I'm trying to fill the small engraved writing, so keying or priming it isn't really necessary I'd imagine. 

Thanks for the link to those markers, definitely something that I'm interested in. 

Archived