Is this safe to be used?

LazzurusMan

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Bottle was leaking yesterday, let it empty itself as I could see an oring had shifted in the top of the bottle. Unscrewed it, reseated the oring and then screwed it back on, but only tight enough that I can still unscrew it (it won't go any tighter). As in the whole top part of the bottle came off (in picture).

Is this still safe to use? Should I just add some ptfe tape to help seal/tighten it?

I have another bottle, but it's only 26ci and this is 48. I'd prefer to know I have enough air for the whole day this Saturday whilst I try out hpa for the first time.

FB_IMG_1691670808616.jpg

4 hours ago, LazzurusMan said:

Bottle was leaking yesterday, let it empty itself as I could see an oring had shifted in the top of the bottle. Unscrewed it, reseated the oring and then screwed it back on, but only tight enough that I can still unscrew it (it won't go any tighter). As in the whole top part of the bottle came off (in picture).

Is this still safe to use? Should I just add some ptfe tape to help seal/tighten it?

I have another bottle, but it's only 26ci and this is 48. I'd prefer to know I have enough air for the whole day this Saturday whilst I try out hpa for the first time.

FB_IMG_1691670808616.jpg

What o’ring needed reseating, and where was the leak?

If from your description the whole regulator has been unscrewed from the cylinder and replaced it should not require any sealant, PTFE etc 

Regulator threads are tapered and recessed in a manner that if you manage to unscrew whilst pressurised then the recess allows air to safely escape while the threads still grip. PTFE / sealant /  threadlock can interfere with the taper (and seal it) which keeps pressure as the regulator unthreads and can result in a flying regulator if it manages to unscrew enough without easing pressure

Provided there is no damage to threads in the regulator or cylinder and the taper is unblocked it would be safe

The regulator should be screwed on hand tight then tightened to a manufacturer specified torque, but without that torque is better hand tight then over tight 

(I’m going to post up a maintenance video but need to just rewatch for content before I commit)

Regulator internal maintenance:

Regulator removal:

Alternative types & elements:

Before you fill on site do please let the staff know that you’ve done some maintenance, for a little bit more care and awareness in case of potential issues 

Edited by Tommikka

Ah, think I need to unscrew it and remove the thread tape I put on it then.

I'll let the site know on Saturday that I had to screw it back on and see if they're happy to fill it. They might even give it a once over to check it. They do paintball too so I'd assume they'd know what they're doing.

Some extra general awareness on air cylinder safety:

The HPA1 air safety document was originally produced by the UKPSF (UK paintball representative body), and the version below is as distributed in 2010 by the UKSPC (a collective of event organisers), and has some additional comments of my own

Slide2.jpeg

Slide1.jpeg

Slide3.jpeg

Slide4.jpeg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.