Type 89 upgrades

Alex Evans

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm in love with my Tokyo Marui type 89 however it's lacking in the range and FPS department. However there isn't much information online. Has anyone upgraded one before? And will it be fine on a m100 spring ? Thanks 

IMG_20230610_162932.jpg

What power and range are you getting?

I built one from a collection of parts a few years ago; they are "interesting" internally, with so many potential failure points and unique parts, which is why I sold it on as rapidly as possible.

Mine was shooting at about 0.78J and reaching out a very good distance.

Edited by Colin Allen

On 14/06/2023 at 08:37, Colin Allen said:

What power and range are you getting?

I built one from a collection of parts a few years ago; they are "interesting" internally, with so many potential failure points and unique parts, which is why I sold it on as rapidly as possible.

Mine was shooting at about 0.78J and reaching out a very good distance.

So I'm getting around 270 FPS but the hop just doesn't seem to be good enough to get it that range. So I was looking to upgrade the hop and the spring however I'm honestly not fussed about 270fps as that's still more than manageable. Do you know what type of hop it would be compatible with or is it proprietary one?

4 hours ago, Alex Evans said:

So I'm getting around 270 FPS but the hop just doesn't seem to be good enough to get it that range. So I was looking to upgrade the hop and the spring however I'm honestly not fussed about 270fps as that's still more than manageable. Do you know what type of hop it would be compatible with or is it proprietary one?

It is a proprietary two part hop (separate feed tube). https://www.zerooneairsoft.com/products/Tokyo-Marui-Plastic-Hop-Up-Unit-for-Type-89

The sector gear is made of pot metal and is also proprietary, having an extra cam to enable the burst function; the cam for the COL is also in a different position than usual due to the unique gearbox design with its vertical sliding trigger switch..  That makes increasing the power somewhat risky as the sector gear is prone to shredding itself if pushed too hard.  Element used to make an improved gear set, but I have not seen one in stock for years.

This is a good guide to the idiosyncrasies of the Type 89: https://tacticalparts.com/blog/resurrecting-the-champ/

12 hours ago, Colin Allen said:

It is a proprietary two part hop (separate feed tube). https://www.zerooneairsoft.com/products/Tokyo-Marui-Plastic-Hop-Up-Unit-for-Type-89

The sector gear is made of pot metal and is also proprietary, having an extra cam to enable the burst function; the cam for the COL is also in a different position than usual due to the unique gearbox design with its vertical sliding trigger switch..  That makes increasing the power somewhat risky as the sector gear is prone to shredding itself if pushed too hard.  Element used to make an improved gear set, but I have not seen one in stock for years.

This is a good guide to the idiosyncrasies of the Type 89: https://tacticalparts.com/blog/resurrecting-the-champ/

I appreciate the help finding information for this thing is a bitch

9 hours ago, Alex Evans said:

I appreciate the help finding information for this thing is a bitch

Good luck with it; I loved the look of the one I built but I decided to sell it as I could see a lot of problems with it in the future.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.