Armourer Works Drum Mags

EvilMonkee

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Has anyone got any experience with AW Drum Mags?  I have found an adaptor for my GHK AK that goes with them but I hate the aesthetic and was wondering if it would be possible to mount the AW internals inside a normal AK drum mag?  Is it possible to separate the AW internals out?

8 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Has anyone got any experience with AW Drum Mags?  I have found an adaptor for my GHK AK that goes with them but I hate the aesthetic and was wondering if it would be possible to mount the AW internals inside a normal AK drum mag?  Is it possible to separate the AW internals out?

Yup, I’ve dismantled loads, modified more, fixed a few.

The whole rear of the mag is the gas tank, the front is the winder, spring, feed system and bb reservoir.

They’re straightforward to modify, but whether you can fit it all inside an AK drum, I don’t know.

I modified an AW to fit a GHK AK 105, didn’t look to bad

I’d be VERY interested in seeing the adapter straight from GHK to AW, got a link?

https://samoon.com.tw/conversion-kit/c-ak/drum-magazine-adapter-for-ghk-ak

Been out for a while apparently, not sure how I missed them! If the rear of the tank is the gas reservoir it might be possible to jury rig some sort of feed system........need to get hold of an AW tank and get the dimensions.  If not possible I will just run it with a normal tank.

Edited by EvilMonkee

43 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

https://samoon.com.tw/conversion-kit/c-ak/drum-magazine-adapter-for-ghk-ak

Been out for a while apparently, not sure how I missed them! If the rear of the tank is the gas reservoir it might be possible to jury rig some sort of feed system........need to get hold of an AW tank and get the dimensions.  If not possible I will just run it with a normal tank.

the other thing to pour out is the drum lifts .25’s easily, will not lift anything above .38, and between .25 and .38 it’s ability to lift gradually reduces.

The springs break fairly often, but are identical internally to a hi-cap mag, but you may need to switch the spring casing 

42 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

the other thing to pour out is the drum lifts .25’s easily, will not lift anything above .38, and between .25 and .38 it’s ability to lift gradually reduces.

The springs break fairly often, but are identical internally to a hi-cap mag, but you may need to switch the spring casing 

Would only be for .3s and got half a mind to utilise the internal feed mech from a drum mag anyway if I can fit it all in.  All depends on the size of the thing, won't know until I get my hands on one

2 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Would only be for .3s and got half a mind to utilise the internal feed mech from a drum mag anyway if I can fit it all in.  All depends on the size of the thing, won't know until I get my hands on one

There’s a WE MP5 one for sale in the classifieds for £50

3 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

There’s a WE MP5 one for sale in the classifieds for £50

Cheers, have messaged him. I am assuming they are functionally the same as the AW ones?

Edited by EvilMonkee

40 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Cheers, have messaged him. I am assuming they are functionally the same as the AW ones?

Yes BUT you need to know what drum mag the AK adapter is for, they have different bb feeds, unless you put your own Bowden tube in the feed ramps won’t line up EXCEPT I think I have M4 ramps in the drawer 😉

Thanks for the tip, looking at the adaptor its says M4 drum mag needed. Could I in theory swap that MP5 ramps out for M4 ones?

Edited by EvilMonkee

1 hour ago, EvilMonkee said:

Thanks for the tip, looking at the adaptor its says M4 drum mag needed. Could I in theory swap that MP5 ramps out for M4 ones?

Yes

held in by two cross head screws

These are the bits you need

219CF228-EF5B-4B65-8C01-A462B62393FE.jpeg

Easy enough to replace with a short Bowden cable if you wanted to

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.