We gen 5 glock 17 making squeaking noise

DannyZall

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So to sum it up the top slide seems to be rubbing on something trigger related, I'm not to sure on where the sound is coming from this also seems to corolate with the sticky side I have atm it has a roller bearing and I'm going to replace it with an sfk on soon but I'm not sure why I'm having this issue, I've put pictures to where there is heavy wear on the slide I'm sort of assuming that has something to do with it, thanks for all of you who reply too

20220717_165533.jpg

20220717_165521.jpg

What are the two dots on the slide in front of the sight? It looks like the slide has been drilled to fit a red dot.

When you say it has a new roller bearing, do you mean a normal hammer wheel, but new, or a hammer wheel that is actually a roller bearing?

The sticky slide is almost always the BBU worn out on a WE. Of course it has a squeaky trigger when you have the slide half open and you’re jamming the trigger bar against the BBU ramp

2 dots on the top are just marking from the red dot screws i have, by roller bearing i mean a hammer wheel that is a roller bearing yes, The BBU is getting replaced as it has a literal hole in it, and yes your right it should squeak when you do that but it still squeaks when the slide is being racked so for example i leave the gun for an hour and rack it, it will squeak and will not stop almost as if its rubbing on the slide.

Just now, DannyZall said:

2 dots on the top are just marking from the red dot screws i have, by roller bearing i mean a hammer wheel that is a roller bearing yes, The BBU is getting replaced as it has a literal hole in it, and yes your right it should squeak when you do that but it still squeaks when the slide is being racked so for example i leave the gun for an hour and rack it, it will squeak and will not stop almost as if its rubbing on the slide.

so normal fault finding rules apply.
What did you change immediately before it started doing this?

Did you check the roller bearing is the same diameter as the hammer wheel that came out?

If changing it back doesn’t fix it, Thoroughly clean everything, re-assemble with a very light oil.

If it still sticks, take some high definition pictures of the BBU and the hammer assembly with the hammer both cocked and released.

Very likely it’s doing what all WE’s do eventually, stop working because all the components wear out.

Apart from the roller bearing and hop-unit, have you changed anything else?

What happened was i had to sand the frame down and the made the gun get full of crap i then took the whole thing apart and cleaned it in isopropyl alcohol (keep in mind it still squeaked before this cleaning) the gun was spotless after that i then applied silicone oil to the normal parts you'd put it and it still had the squeak. what else ive changed is the outer barrel, recoil spring and nozzle spring,

Oh forgot to say the part i sanded was the magwell so nothing up top

6 minutes ago, DannyZall said:

What happened was i had to sand the frame down and the made the gun get full of crap i then took the whole thing apart and cleaned it in isopropyl alcohol (keep in mind it still squeaked before this cleaning) the gun was spotless after that i then applied silicone oil to the normal parts you'd put it and it still had the squeak. what else ive changed is the outer barrel, recoil spring and nozzle spring,

Oh forgot to say the part i sanded was the magwell so nothing up top

Concise please.

If you sanded the magwell (wtf for?) without taking the gun apart first, you need to strip it to its in individual parts, literally everything, and clean it.

Likely though if you’ve put a TM spec outer barrel in it that’s the problem.

They aren’t the same as WE, the Maple leaf hop unit doesn’t fit in them properly and they’ll snag on the slide and the front frame.

Now take some pictures or I  cant help any further, sorry

So i sanded it for a magwell fitment the gun was subsequently cleaned fully With isopropyl alcohol the whole gun every little pin to every little spring,

The outer barrel is rated for WE (it's a hadron 3D printed outer)I have the same issue when i put the standard Hop unit and standard outer barrel in 

sorry about the pics my phone is a piece of shite if you need more specific shots let me know

20220717_183500.jpg

20220717_183406.jpg

20220717_183355.jpg

50 minutes ago, DannyZall said:

It's 8mm outer diameter I've currently got it out as I was trying to see if it was potentially the bearing that was giving up but the brand that made it is called SLONG 

Never heard of Slong, what size is the originally hammer wheel?

So everything obvious is done.

Ignore the squeak, your forcing the trigger bar into the bottom of the BBU.

My advice is strip the gun, put the bare front and rear chassis in, and try sliding the slide backwards and forwards.

If it jam’s, you know the frame, chassis or slide is damaged.

If it doesn’t jam, then build the gun back up a piece at a time until it does, there’s your culprit.

I would build up the slide first, then the frame parts.

If you don’t wan ‘t to do that, return it to completely standard. If it still doesn’t work, it’s a  standard part (same process as above to find it), if it works standard, add your modified parts until it doesn’t work, there’s your culprit.

I suspect it’s a BBU/Hammer wheel/hammer spring issue, but you could try shimming the front frame a little 

1 hour ago, DannyZall said:

Just read that thread honestly some good points made in there would you have a type of lube you'd recommend over just a base silicone oil?

Silicone (preferably grease) has its place; in minimal amounts on mag valve o-rings.

If I had to use something for the slide and rails, probably a very light application of high molybdenum content grease. It's great for high pressure/friction applications.

But if you're skirmishing with it then you have to stay on the ball with keeping your gun clean, because any wet lube is going to attract dust and dirt which will then act as an abrasive.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.