Snow Wolf Sw-20bm: Advise and an Issue

DeJour

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

got a Snow Wolf SW-20BM just before lock down (that story) and got to play with it yesterday

the hop up is all over the place, and in general it needs some fien tuning to get it accurate etc

first up any advice or links for tutorials and upgrades that help it out, looking to get a longer inner barrel as i have the phantom kit on the front end and ive already had a BB rollin around in the silencer

the other 2 issues that cropped up:

1/ when loading mags i've had bb's popping out the top of the mag and getting in the body kit

2/ the upper and lower have accrued a gap (picture attached) i think its a case of the body has a nub on it that slots into the metal front end, and its worn just enough to make it not sit flush and hold it compact, any advise on getting that repaired would be great

any / all help gratefully received 

Many thanks

20210426_121749.jpg

20210426_121819.jpg

20210426_121806.jpg

Hey, I need to know more about what you have done to the gun since you got it.

Upgrades - What have you taken to bits, Did you try to rebuild the hop, Anything like that.

This is because I think you have a spacing issue with the gearbox or hop that is stopping the upper seating correctly, And I can't help if I don't know what's been done to it.

If you have rebuilt the hop, Shimmed the inner barrel ect then I need pictures of that.

I also need pictures of the inside of the magwell and the front of the gearbox.

The amount of damage to the lower is pretty bad, I've had AUG's for years and never seen anything like it. The only way I can see that happening is user error. It looks to have enough meat left on it that it should still work if the cause can be found for the body not sitting right.

BB's getting into the body with an AUG is perfectly normal, There are some solutions to it involving padding/shimming out the magwell, but once you get the hang of the mag changes they happen less often anyway. To get the BB's out you split the gun and invert it whist shaking. It's one of those things you just have to live with on the platform.

Edited by Iceni

- Upgrades - What have you taken to bits, Did you try to rebuild the hop, Anything like that.

None at all, it's all stock

- I also need pictures of the inside of the magwell and the front of the gearbox.

- The amount of damage to the lower is pretty bad, I've had AUG's for years and never seen anything like it. The only way I can see that happening is user error. It looks to have enough meat left on it that it should still work if the cause can be found for the body not sitting right.

I think the issue was me, i didn't realise the nub wasn't sitting properly 

- BB's getting into the body with an AUG is perfectly normal, There are some solutions to it involving padding/shimming out the magwell, but once you get the hang of the mag changes they happen less often anyway. To get the BB's out you split the gun and invert it whist shaking. It's one of those things you just have to live with on the platform.

any links to tutorials on shimming the magwell? 

Will get those extra pics to you later, also i can't split the body as it looks like it's been glued along the seam on the inside

13 hours ago, DeJour said:

i can't split the body as it looks like it's been glued along the seam on the inside

Splitting an AUG doesn't mean splitting the plastic parts. It just means taking the upper off the lower. There's a takedown pin on the lower that when pushed to the side lets the upper just slide off. Be careful tho as if you push the pin too far it'll fall out and they can be a fiddle to get back in. There's a flat spring with the pin that sits in the same hole, so if it does fall out make sure you don't loose the spring!

any links to tutorials on shimming the magwell?

The was a long gone South African forum that had all the shimming information and a template. They were using a steel beer can cut in a specific way so it covers the space at the top of the magwell meaning the stray BB's drop out rather than go into the gun. I didn't save the template and never made one. My own solution was just to make sure my mag changes are quick enough that it doesn't happen so often. It's cause because the last couple of bb's roll out over the top of the mag and there's enough space for them to go into the body. If you wanted to make a shim/guard to stop it then it shouldn't be too difficult if you look at the magwell and the holes, Just be warned the trigger linkage goes through that area as well so you have to account for that, and the magwell plate is designed to move. It moves backwards when you take out the gearbox, and it self aligns when you insert a mag. So you can't shim tight to the feed nozzle.

think the issue was me, i didn't realise the nub wasn't sitting properly

When you slide the upper onto the lower there's a checklist of sorts.

The pin needs to be in the open position.
The cocking handle wants to be forwards.
Inspect the hop and make sure the extra little plastic bit on the back is in place. That little black plastic bit is a vital spacer, without it the gun won't work and you'll need a complete hop unit to get a replacement.

Slide the upper onto the lower, And make sure it goes on smooth. You should be able to feel the hop touch the air nozzle, and the last 3-5mm of the seating should be a little springy as the hop/barrel spring take up slack. Make sure the front pin fully engages and then push the body pin into the locked position. When locked the gun should have no gaps, and the body pin should be holding itself in place.

I need to see the magwell as it may be damaged. If the gun is forced together it's often the front of the magwell upper that breaks, Same if you shim the gearbox forwards. Depending on the break it may outright kill the gun if you damage the feed tube as well. Sometimes you can get lucky and have it break but the feed tube still sits correctly or doesn't get lost/damaged.

There are some almost impossible to find aug parts. Most of the parts can be bought - but the trigger group, feed tube, and gearbox trigger are non existent as spares. 

Edited by Iceni

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.