Nvg Ps14 Maintain/ Repair Advice

enzo47

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've brought a ps14 a while back. Would like to know if there is anyone who does maintenance / repairs on ps14 gen 3.

Been sat in storage for a long time. 

Any tips or advice on ps14 gen 3 would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance  

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
1 hour ago, enzo47 said:

I've brought a ps14 a while back. Would like to know if there is anyone who does maintenance / repairs on ps14 gen 3.

Is there anything wrong with the device as it stands?

If not - from a maintenance point of view, there's not too much you *need* to do here.

NODs can be "purged", which is where you replace the air inside the housing with nitrogen, which helps prevent moisture buildup - apart from that the only real work done to service one is to take it apart, make sure there isn't any dust or grime that could be affecting your view through the tube.

If you wanted to take it apart yourself, it's possible for a newbie as long as you're careful and have the right tools - here's a vid on how to build one, so just reverse the steps:

before buying i didnt see any problem. 

but the other night while trying my new ir pistol laser. i noticed black faint marking while looking at light sources.

Also at end was some build up of condensation of the inside of the lens closest to the eye. I did watch the clips before hand. i believe i lack in the skills and equipment. frankly im afraid of F***** it up. My track record opening things up it not great lol 🤣 

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
19 minutes ago, enzo47 said:

before buying i didnt see any problem. 

but the other night while trying my new ir pistol laser. i noticed black faint marking while looking at light sources.

Also at end was some build up of condensation of the inside of the lens closest to the eye. I did watch the clips before hand. i believe i lack in the skills and equipment. frankly im afraid of F***** it up. My track record opening things up it not great lol 🤣 

Fair play - I don't blame you!

"Faint black marking" - this could either be a "blemish" which is damage to one of the key parts of the unit - sometimes, they just happen as the "tube" (important part of the unit) is manufactured but they can also get caused by looking at bright light sources for too long, lasers etc - So be very careful with looking at bright lights!

Sounds like a service is a good idea, getting your unit purged should stop that condensation. You can also get "demist" lenses for the rear if you don't have those already, which help against condensation - they're pretty cheap.

Have you thought about protecting the front and rear lenses yet? BBs can shatter glass so it's best to get some form of protection up similar to how you would for an RDS

Best way to get an idea of blems would be to take a pic through the pvs14 (example below), against a blank wall so you can spot any blemishes. It could just be dirt though, so a clean could sort it.

No photo description available.

^^ That dot is the blem

https://www.facebook.com/groups/175676493297552

^^ This is a sales group for NV in Europe, and I reckon you'd be able to find someone there who's able to service your PVS14 if you wanted - If you're on Discord, this server might have someone:  https://discord.gg/b3MECua9

Good luck!

if this is a ps14 then it will not have the variable gain like a pvs14 and it could be a fat or slim anvis tube - if its gen3 then i would think slim anvis ,as may have been  said above - black faint marking while looking at light sources can be normal especially streaking as you move across them .should fade quickly.usually does it when first used and not so much when been on for a few minutes

if there is condensation inside then best to get it dried out as it will do harm , if its put together in a dry atmosphere then purging should not be needed

• 2 years later...
On 07/03/2021 at 18:58, enzo47 said:

Apologies for bringing back an old thread, but are you referring to the "ATN PS14" or the "AN-PVS/14"? One is a commercially made housing while the other is a completely different beast. The ATN one was named this way to cause confusion, which has clearly happened in this thread.

ATN PS14-4 Night Vision Monocular Spec Sheet - OpticsPlanet.com

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.