G&G GR15 Raider Blowback Motor/Gearbox Problem

Lastman
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have owned the above AEG for about 2 years now and still love it (sentimentally as it was my first air soft weapon and my son bought it for me). It is totally stock internally.

It has performed almost flawlessly apart from where a spring on the charging handle came off during a game causing the BBs to just about roll out of the barrel. After it was reattached it worked well constantly shooting around 325-330fps.

I have not been to a game since the end of October last year so it's been on the wall rack for just about 2 months along with the G&G R8-L and the ICS MP5-SD5.

I decided to check the AEG's on my chrono and loaded the G&G's with the 9.6v 1600mah crane stock battery which was last charged mid December. The MP5 uses a 8.4 racing stick battery.

The Mp5 shot at 335.9fps on a .25g BB. Happy with that.

Put the crane stock battery in the Raider, pulled the trigger and got a partial wind from the motor. Thought 'sod it -battery flat'. Tried the second crane stock battery and got a sound of the strain being taken up from the motor but not spinning. also tried a third battery and got the same result.

So I thought that the first battery was flat and had wound the gearbox up to half cycle and it couldn't build the momentum to shift the already half compressed spring.

Out of curiosity, tried the three batteries in the R8-L and it fired on all three albeit at 290fps.

I watched a couple of YouTube videos on version 2 gearbox strip downs and tackled it myself to release the spring compression.

All went relatively well and while I was about it, I measured the spring. Pretty sure it showed as 1.3mm thick using a manual vernier gauge ( which if I remember from a forum somewhere means it's a 130 spring??).

Reassembled it and refitted the lower receiver, grip and motor, minus the barrel and upper receiver.

I then tested it using one of the now freshly charged up batteries and it ran ok on semi and full auto.

Finished reassembling the rest of the AEG and everything went back together with no problems.

I went to see how it would perform on the chrono now it was working.

Pulled the trigger and guess what.....

Partial turn from the motor/gearbox and then stopped again!! AARGH!!!

The same battery again powered the R8-L.

I'm wondering if the motor is on the border of giving out. It's a genuine G&G 18000rpm unit.

All of the connections seem to be good and tight.

Probably might be an idea to swap the motors from the 2 G&Gs assuming they're the same and when I've got time

Any suggestions?

• Supporters

Hmmm

This appears to be one the G&G gremlins having fun

I had a G&G MP5 which for some reason intermittently would not fire, its 100% reliable now.

Try swapping the motors from the GR15 raider from the R8-L and fire both and see what happens, this will help rule out the gearbox if the motor from the R8-L works in the GR15. If its still does not work we will have to look at the gearbox.

I'm pretty sure I've found the fault and it wasn't the Raider.....

It was the damned battery!!!!

I don't know how it managed to fire the R8-L and not the raider, but after nearly 2 hours stripping the gun and the gearbox and finding it wasn't firing I wasn't in the mood to test it any further yesterday.

Today I measured the voltage on the 9.6 crane stock batteries. One was showed 11.42v and the other read 10.86v. Couldn't test them together yesterday as one was still on charge and my test meter was in my sons car.

The one I tested the gun with yesterday was the 10.86v one.

Put the 11.42v battery in the Raider and it cycled perfectly.

Changed it to the 10.86v battery and got the same results as yesterday.

Tried the same battery in the R8-L and it also couldn't cycle. Must have just been one of those things yesterday

Conclusion therefore it has to be the damned battery.

Time to upgrade to Lipo's me thinks.......

Which begs my next question, which one?

Archived