Military things to see in Kent nr the coast

RockingDad

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Afternoon all,

Going to Kent tomorrow for a long weekend staying at St Margarets. Is there anything forces/military related to look at in the Kent area,that people could recommend? I could only find the battle of Britain museum...would prefer something a little more modern/varied.

Cheers

Rockingdad

Fort Amherst in chatham, although not too modern and you need to book tours in advance or can only walk around it

The royal military canal running from seabrook to cliffend

royal engineers museum of military engineering in gillingham

thames estuary forts (if you got a boat or get a tour)

http://www.undergroundkent.co.uk/ is a good site for exploring

There are two forts near me (Gravesend - one Fort Amhurst and 1 further along I cant remember the name off, both interesting to walk around and easy to get too IF you know the way.

Upnor Castle

Two RAF museums literally outside the entrance to DFTDC Manston (formally RAF Manston). The larger of the two has a very big range of aircraft and a couple of vehicles as well.

Chatham Dockyard has is quite varied but has a lot on Naval History and a Submarine to wonder around last time I was there.

Fort Amherst is also worth checking out.

Dover Castle is a good trip, it was a fairly vital part of our sea defences during ww2 has miles of stuff to explore.

Rochester Castle

I will update this with stuff as I remember them :)

Rhomney Hythe and Dymchurch railway is actually a good trip to take. Although a commercial line it was often had armoured train running up and down it in WW2 and runs near on of the military canals and you can spot a lot of relics from our early warning systems such as the sonar domes along the route. Also runs near the Hythe ranges which go on for miles!

There is actually an intact Cold War bunker in Woodlands park in Gravesend but unfortunetly it is very rarely open to the public :/

Hornby Museum (not military but they do have some really cool models in there)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.