Aftermarket hop chambers and buckings

Deej
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, so I've got a couple of questions;

Firstly, how much potential gain is there in an aftermarket hop chamber? I was under the impression that shimming your hop arm could achieve improvements in compression and stiffness/stability and that there isn't much else that part does, so a thorough shim job makes any chamber as good as the next. Is this so? I mean I've read conflicting reports so...

If there is a potential gain to be had from a new chamber, which ones are best for the P90 platform and just how much better is it likely to get than stock Tokyo Marui?

If a good shim is all we need, then what are your preferred shim methods? Which adhesives do you favour and which materials do you work with?

Finally, I'm wondering just how much matched parts will help when it comes to compression? I have a replacement lonex nozzle on its way and a lonex 70* bucking. I remember reading somewhere that I might experience better seal from these two parts due to matched manufacturing tolerances, so I'm wondering if changing to a harder bucking (also in pursuit of airseal) would be a superfluous exercise? I haven't found a harder bucking by Lonex, but I heard that switching from rubber (the Lonex 70 is rubber, right?) to a silicone bucking is a big jump in terms of rigidity and potential airseal?

I'm terribly sorry if these are common queries but the search function doesn't seem to work for me. Perhaps it's because I use a phone browser but even searching terms like 'gun' or 'aeg' return 0 results so clearly I can't use it :S

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Yeah, the search function is a bit moody. Generally though using 3 character search terms in any search engine is not a good plan: in fact many will reject short character strings because it's so much hassle writing code that can deal - I'm not sure about ours, but I wouldn't be surprised if it rejects 'em and dosn't tell ya :lol:

I don't have any experience with P90 Hop Chambers, but my experience of buying all Lonex in hopes of matching tolerances is less than encouraging. I went with an AK Hop Chamber, 70deg Rubber, and AK Aluminium Nozzle - the nozzle didn't fit at all, so I switched to an ICS one - the chamber/rubber combo is no better and possibly a little worse for accuracy than the CYMA it replaced, but an Element H-Nub helped that.

Archived