What make spring?

Gecko
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm looking to upgrade my Tokya Mauri AK47 Beta Spetznaz to 350fps. I think I need to buy a M110 spring or possible a M120, but what make is worth getting and where's the best place to get them from?

Also, would anybody recommend any other upgrades...at the moment the AK is straight out of the box.

I'm looking to upgrade my Tokya Mauri AK47 Beta Spetznaz to 350fps. I think I need to buy a M110 spring or possible a M120, but what make is worth getting and where's the best place to get them from?

Also, would anybody recommend any other upgrades...at the moment the AK is straight out of the box.

First question, what fps is it doing at the moment? And first point, in a normally set up, well working TM AK an M120 spring should put you in the 400 fps ball park.

FPS isn't everything. Most TM guns are made to work best at sub 300 fps, as their barrel, hop unit and hop rubbers can give as good, if not sometimes better, range and accuracy that those pushing the limits. Try setting your hop, also try using 0.25 BBs, as they give a flatter trajectory over a longer distance than 0.2s. Only then, once you have got the stock gun set up properly will you know how well it is working. But be warned, upgrading TM guns to a higher fps can sometimes result in a much worse performing gun and therefore a waste of money.

The fps is currently at 300fps and I normally use 0.2g bbs. I've adjusted the hop up as best I can but the trajectory of bbs at the moment seems to drop out after about 30ft maybe?

Thanks for the advice, I might have to give it a go with 0.25s and see what happens.

You haven't set the hop properly then :P

If they're going up after that distance though, try heavier BB's, because your hop maybe knackered.

The fps is currently at 300fps and I normally use 0.2g bbs. I've adjusted the hop up as best I can but the trajectory of bbs at the moment seems to drop out after about 30ft maybe?

Thanks for the advice, I might have to give it a go with 0.25s and see what happens.

If it's doing 300 then it's probably got a knackered hop rubber or a badly set up one, as 300 is the norm for TM guns on 0.2s. You probably need to pull the hop on a bit more as a start, and keep adjusting it until the BBs start to climb, then back it off a very small amount until they're running flat again. But if it's still dropping after 30ft then first clean your inner barrel and dry it thoroughly, then re-test, as a dirty barrel can have that effect on BBs. Also, don't put any silicon on the hop rubber, as that will screw it up and stop it working properly.

MadBull non-linear springs seem to be very good, but I haven't chrono'd my gun since I fitted the M110 and as I've now also done other upgrades, I won't be able to tell the you how much the spring changed things. What I can tell you is that the MadBull spring gives a nice consistent performance, and I like that.

BBs, I'm currently using Sniping System 0.23 BBs and they are pretty good, but I think I will be changing to a slightly heavier 0.25 BB too, so I'd suggest you try them and see how you go. 0.2s are too light at 300fps IMO. That they're the defecto standard for measuring FPS is why they're ubiquitous, not because they work best.

As for silicone on hop-rubber or not. I've read that people swear you can't do without it, and people who swear the opposite. Silicone is kind to rubber, and rubber seems to appreciate silicone by staying supple and bouncy longer. But once you get silicone on your hop, it'll be a pain to remove if you subsequently decide you don't like it. Personally, I figure if you manage to avoid getting any silicone lube on your rubber, it'll be a small miracle.

Archived