Type 89 Grenade Discharger

JinxDuh

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, I wanted to do a quick review of the Type 89 “Mortar” I picked up from a seller on here. 

I was looking for the Craft Apple Works version for some time with no luck, so when I saw these listed I knew I had to grab one.

Overall the “mortar” (which I will call it going forwards because it’s easier to type than “Grenade Discharger) feels sturdy and seems to be put together well. It uses propriety  “TLSFx”/“FBS” rounds (https://www.dkarmaments.co.uk/product/mortar-single-bang-38mm-round/) which are rather pricey. Having used the smoke rounds before, they leave a lot to be desired in terms of coverage. 

Some bad points on this replica: (which I am by no means knocking, however want to point out)

• For the cost, it is overall rather basic. It may purely be me being nitpicky however the lack of a dummy “cocking” handle and cut out for the spring like on the real thing was rather disappointing.

• The finish paint on the product is very thin, and has worn off from contact against my Type 98 airsoft replica leaving a metallic silver shining through. I will end up refinishing it for reenactment down the line no doubt.

I haven’t used any pyro in the mortar yet, however the “grenade” is the important part so there shouldn’t be any problems. 

The replica feels very sturdy however, and is definitely strong enough to withstand knocks and bangs from use. I think from a distance it’s ideal for reenactors, and absolutely perfect for airsoft use where every detail doesn’t have to be 100%. 

Overall personal thoughts:

If you’re looking for a unique mortar, this definitely fits the bill. I would have liked it to feature more authentic design with a mock cocking handle and spring. The price falls in line with the 38mm Para (Retailing at £330 with 5 shells), being sold at £180. It’s definitely going to be useful for reenactment, however airsoft use will depend on events. For your average skirmish it could hold it’s own however £8 a shell it’ll drain your bank account in no time 😂

Note: This is my first time posting a review, so it may be an absolute mess… 😅

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.