G&G L85 Madbull Handguard Help

MrTea

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I recently came into ownership of a G&G L85A2 ETU. I bought the Madbull handguard which has also arrived but I've ran into issues when attempting to assemble it.

When I put the handguard onto the gun, attach then the sling loop the screw hole on the bottom of the gun doesnt line up in the handguard and I can't secure it meaning the handguard wobbles - pic related;

IMG_20230714_154739.thumb.jpg.07811c79547daa8098039df766fce6cf.jpg

If I
nudge the handguard back up so the holes do align, I get a huuuuge gap between the handguard and the receiver of the gun. Could this be an issue with the way the adapter installs? - pic related;

IMG_20230714_154413.thumb.jpg.b319e09464cbfddf7c7d2dfac1ddef6b.jpg

I would have assumed that the adapter block would sit flush over that ring of the outer barrel but the few pictures I can find of other peoples G&G is exactly like I have it, most of the videos/posts I can find about installing this are related to the ICS version so i'm kinda stuck.

Edited by MrTea

As per this review on Evike; "PLEASE READ! Evike needs to update the description on this. I bought this for my G&G L85 ETU, which is technically the version 2 of the G&G L85. This rail still does fit, but it does not fit flush."

It appears that G&G may have changed something around where the adapter sits causing this issue. They've definitely changed how you remove the outer barrel anyway because I can't figure out how to remove that either.

As a little update to the handguard; i've taken a dremel to the screw hole that's misaligned on the handguard and lengthened it. The screw is now in and the handguard is solid. Only downside is that there's a 2mm gap between the receiver and the handguard. While not effecting functionality it's annoying to see. I'll strip it down again tomorrow and check if even more dremeling will let it sit flush with the receiver or at that point will the sling loop bolt start causing issues which I suspect it will. This probably leaves me with two options; dremel/drill/file the sling loop securement point so it sits further back making it flush or make a spacer that hides the 2mm gap...

Another update; I was doing some extra testing with the handguard with only the bottom screw in place and pulling the handguard as far back towards the receiver as possible. After making the bottom screw hole (in the handguard) longer I was able to get the handguard flush with the receiver BUT this now meant that the screw hole for the sling loop was out of alignment and would not longer fit. The only options from here are to either make the holes in the handguard AND sling loop longer or grind down the screw that linked it all together.

So I took a dremel with a grinding bit to the screw (not the threaded parts obviously) and ground off material from each 'side' of the screw making it almost square then rounding it off to finish. Once this was done it made small enough where it would just barely fit through the misaligned hole and allow it to screw into the sling loop on the other side. The key for anyone else trying this is to not take too much off at once, keep grinding off small amounts until it just to say fits.

The handguard is now attached solidly and is just about flush as I think I could possibly get it. Annoying that you have to go through this on a ~£120 handguard but it is what it is.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.