Posting / Transporting Rifs to Greece

Eric Gen

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello, I have a situation that you might be able to help me with. 

A friend of mine has recently moved to Greece. He has left with me 2 RIFs, a rifle and a pistol, which I now have to find a way of getting to him. 

My research so far seem to suggest that there's no reliable way of posting airsoft guns internationally, since ParcelForce no longer accepts them. 

One idea is to go back to the shop where they where purchased, and since they do international delivery on their products, ask them nicely if they could do the delivery for me. The issue with that is that then it becomes a commercial import which is subject to extortionate customs fees in Greece... :(

Another idea is to take them with me when I eventually visit Greece. Some airline companies allow RIFs to be transported as checked in luggage, but they require documentation and licenses, of which I have none.

This is from British Airways website

You can only carry these items in your checked baggage and will need to provide the appropriate licences and documentation for your firearms and ammunition, e.g. export/import licences and authorisation from local and national authorities.

At the moment I'm at a loss on what to do. I would appreciate any info and advice on the following objectives:

a) To legally, reliably and safely post/transport them to Greece

and optional b) Not to have to pay import duty in Greece 

edit: I should add that my friend had a UKARA registration, which has long since expired (thanks a lot, covid 😠), and that airsoft guns are legal in Greece without any special license requirements as far as I could find out 

Edited by Eric Gen

Guest Mr. No_Face
2 hours ago, Eric Gen said:

Hello, I have a situation that you might be able to help me with. 

A friend of mine has recently moved to Greece. He has left with me 2 RIFs, a rifle and a pistol, which I now have to find a way of getting to him. 

My research so far seem to suggest that there's no reliable way of posting airsoft guns internationally, since ParcelForce no longer accepts them. 

One idea is to go back to the shop where they where purchased, and since they do international delivery on their products, ask them nicely if they could do the delivery for me. The issue with that is that then it becomes a commercial import which is subject to extortionate customs fees in Greece... :(

Another idea is to take them with me when I eventually visit Greece. Some airline companies allow RIFs to be transported as checked in luggage, but they require documentation and licenses, of which I have none.

This is from British Airways website

At the moment I'm at a loss on what to do. I would appreciate any info and advice on the following objectives:

a) To legally, reliably and safely post/transport them to Greece

and optional b) Not to have to pay import duty in Greece 

edit: I should add that my friend had a UKARA registration, which has long since expired (thanks a lot, covid 😠), and that airsoft guns are legal in Greece without any special license requirements as far as I could find out 

Unless things have changed since I last travelled abroad I was able to transport airsoft RIFS, paintball guns and even real katana swords and blades when I travelled to and from Japan. I had to declare the weapons to customs to which they sealed the gear in bags with a ribbon attached that states they are potential weapons,

also the seal is to remain undisturbed throughout the journey. The only item I was not able to transport was a Tanto short sword as they deemed it a concealable weapon. Everything else went smoothly as long as everything was declared prior. No documentation needed.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.