Driver Wood - What to expect?

bigmanting

Members
Joined
Feb 12, 2025
Messages
37
Reaction score
30
Hey all

Going to Driver Wood for the first time with a few mates on Saturday, what should I expect? I'm playing DMR with my new MTW308.

Anything I should know about the site? Shop any good? Food any good? Marshals good?

Cheers
 
My experience with Driver Wood is that the site is great (though it's quite paintball-coded) and the facilities are great. The food, while I've never had it, looks fine as well. The marshalls are fine, but mileage may vary; some are great and totally on it, but I've also seen a few are not so great. As an example, I recently had an instance where I saw someone doing some egregious blind fire right in front of a marshall who said and did nothing about it. I will say though that hit-calling is generally pretty decent at Driver Wood. You'll get the occasional cheater, but you'll get that everywhere, and I generally find it's not common enough for me to gripe about it, so it's generally fine.

If you're using an HPA DMR, you'll also be able to take advantage of the fact they have free refill stations for HPA; I see a lot of HPA users at Driver Wood and this is probably one of the reasons as it just makes it really easy to do so. Just... don't join the legions of people who spam the trigger on their HPA DMRs at Driver Wood. I've seen it far more often there than at any other site I've been to in the south.

The main thing I don't like as much about Driver Wood is that it's very... corporate. The AI voice telling me to sign a waiver when I enter, the very business-like management and operation of the site, the multiple other activities going on at the same time like paintball, nerf, and laser tag. It's an outdoor activity centre, not purely an airsoft site and you feel it.

The other thing I'm not as much of a fan of is that they do not cap the numbers at all, which I think links into the above point. Higher footfall = higher revenue, and with the limited number of sites down here they can get away with that and still pull in huge numbers. It's about to get better, because as the weather turns bad you'll see less people coming out for a game day, but through summer I frequently saw game days with over 200 players, which makes the gameplay just not as good. Target rich environment, sure, but it devolves into line battles with very little room for innovative or tactical play. Even trying to fire and manoeuvre is hard because you need to suppress so many positions when there are that many players crammed into the gameplay area.

Also, the game modes just... aren't as engaging as other sites I've been to. They're not bad, but again they're very paintball-coded. King of the Hill, find X and bring it to Y, attack A and then move onto attack B, these are the types of games that I've found are most prevalent at Driver Wood. They're not bad, they're just nothing special.

Will you have a fun day of airsoft at Driver Wood? Yes, you will. It's fine. The site itself being really good and well-built up, plus the game modes being fine means you'll have a fun day of airsoft. But are there better sites out there? 100%.
 
My experience with Driver Wood is that the site is great (though it's quite paintball-coded) and the facilities are great. The food, while I've never had it, looks fine as well. The marshalls are fine, but mileage may vary; some are great and totally on it, but I've also seen a few are not so great. As an example, I recently had an instance where I saw someone doing some egregious blind fire right in front of a marshall who said and did nothing about it. I will say though that hit-calling is generally pretty decent at Driver Wood. You'll get the occasional cheater, but you'll get that everywhere, and I generally find it's not common enough for me to gripe about it, so it's generally fine.

If you're using an HPA DMR, you'll also be able to take advantage of the fact they have free refill stations for HPA; I see a lot of HPA users at Driver Wood and this is probably one of the reasons as it just makes it really easy to do so. Just... don't join the legions of people who spam the trigger on their HPA DMRs at Driver Wood. I've seen it far more often there than at any other site I've been to in the south.

The main thing I don't like as much about Driver Wood is that it's very... corporate. The AI voice telling me to sign a waiver when I enter, the very business-like management and operation of the site, the multiple other activities going on at the same time like paintball, nerf, and laser tag. It's an outdoor activity centre, not purely an airsoft site and you feel it.

The other thing I'm not as much of a fan of is that they do not cap the numbers at all, which I think links into the above point. Higher footfall = higher revenue, and with the limited number of sites down here they can get away with that and still pull in huge numbers. It's about to get better, because as the weather turns bad you'll see less people coming out for a game day, but through summer I frequently saw game days with over 200 players, which makes the gameplay just not as good. Target rich environment, sure, but it devolves into line battles with very little room for innovative or tactical play. Even trying to fire and manoeuvre is hard because you need to suppress so many positions when there are that many players crammed into the gameplay area.

Also, the game modes just... aren't as engaging as other sites I've been to. They're not bad, but again they're very paintball-coded. King of the Hill, find X and bring it to Y, attack A and then move onto attack B, these are the types of games that I've found are most prevalent at Driver Wood. They're not bad, they're just nothing special.

Will you have a fun day of airsoft at Driver Wood? Yes, you will. It's fine. The site itself being really good and well-built up, plus the game modes being fine means you'll have a fun day of airsoft. But are there better sites out there? 100%.
this is exactly the way i felt when I went to driverwood in august, its not bad, just okay.. also very expensive taking the train from london
 
I've only been once and that was enough for me. While actual game play was good the attitude of the owner and staff left alot to be desired so I won't be going back

Yeah, I mostly tune out the owners, but I've definitely heard from multiple stories from different sources that the guy who runs the site is a twat
 
I normally do too but this time I was a bit late so was still getting ready when the first game started and the only one in the safe zone. Rather than get the chrono like he said he was, instead I was given a 10 minute COVID conspiracy theory rant claiming it was all bollocks (this was not long after the lockdowns finished but masks were needed indoors and in taxis etc). After this he went back to chatting with other staff and I never saw the chrono, fortunately I knew my gun was well within their limits. Later I had another staff member start to have a go because I didn't have a barrel sock. After apologising and explaining I was late and missed the briefing he acted like it was all my fault for only checking their website, not the faceache page as well

All in all I found the site has great facilities and has clearly had alot of time and money invested in it but was let down by staff treating players as an inconvenience rather than paying customers.
 
Not too far to go for me, but having just read their FAQ's re Accessibility it seems once again physically disabled players don't exist. YES, I'm aware I am a broken record around disability access...
 
Not too far to go for me, but having just read their FAQ's re Accessibility it seems once again physically disabled players don't exist. YES, I'm aware I am a broken record around disability access...
They have guys play at Driverwood with offroad wheelchairs (apologies, I don't know the correct term). There are a couple of main avenues in the playing area, with plenty of cover and structures that i would imagine would be pretty accessible. The car park and safezone is all gravelled. The route from the safezone to the playing area is generally good, but may be a little challenging due to undulations, tree roots etc. From memory, i think you have to go up a step to the toilets (i might be wrong), so that could be an issue.

Its my local site, and I've gone quite a lot. I'd generally agree with what Impulse has said - I've mostly had a great time there, but with the high numbers over the summer, there is much much more scope for the game play to become dull and frustrating. The owner does invest a huge amount of time and effort into the venture though - so yes, it is certainly irritatingly commercial - but I suppose the flip side is that this is the owners full time job, so the site gets proper (and very significant) investment, loads of new structures, plenty of thought given to switching the layouts up to improve game play etc.
 
Hey all

Going to Driver Wood for the first time with a few mates on Saturday, what should I expect? I'm playing DMR with my new MTW308.

Anything I should know about the site? Shop any good? Food any good? Marshals good?

Cheers
I forgot - Driverwood has a rule that requires you keep a gun sock/barrel cover over the muzzle of your gun at all times in the safezone - if you don't have one, they can be bought there for (i think) about £5. The shop is half decent actually, and the few times i've grabbed a burger and chips, its been ready very quick after the morning games end, and has been adequate. Briefing is at 0900, so make sure you get there with plenty of time to spare to chrono and get set up - after the briefing ends there is only a few minutes grace before they head out to the playing area. They are getting quite strict on not chronoing people (and thus forcing them to miss the first game) if they miss the 0855 cut off (which i can see would be deeply irritating if e.g someone has got stuck on the M25) - but it does at least help mean the paying customer actually stands half a chance of the games starting roughly on time, and getting some decent play in.
 
Not too far to go for me, but having just read their FAQ's re Accessibility it seems once again physically disabled players don't exist. YES, I'm aware I am a broken record around disability access...
Having read their section on customers with special needs I'm with you there. Whoever wrote that clearly just watched Rainman and The Big Bang Theory and now considers themselves an expert in ASD.

Never apologise for championing disabled access. Those who don't like it are usually the ones who want to hide away anyone who doesn't fit their narrow-minded view of what a person should or shouldn't be so fuck them
 
Back
Top