Battery query...

Wardeneo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As most aeg's run 8.4 niMh batteries, I'm thinking of using a lipo, what are the advantages/ disadvantages?

Also on most metal geabox's (v2 and v3) what's the best lipo you can run that won't destroy your gun 9.6v?? - I've heard you need strong internals for an 11.1v lipo....

Cheers Liam

As most aeg's run 8.4 niMh batteries, I'm thinking of using a lipo, what are the advantages/ disadvantages?

Also on most metal geabox's (v2 and v3) what's the best lipo you can run that won't destroy your gun 9.6v?? - I've heard you need strong internals for an 11.1v lipo....

Cheers Liam

It's the choice of 7.4v or 11.1v I'm afraid, nothing in between as its made up of multiples of 3.7v. You should be fine with the 7.4v, but the 11.1v whilst fine (if you know how to handle them), could run you into trouble.

It's the choice of 7.4v or 11.1v I'm afraid, nothing in between as its made up of multiples of 3.7v. You should be fine with the 7.4v but the 11.1v whilst fine if you know how to handle them, could run you into trouble.

So realistically I have 3 options, 7.2v lipo, 8.6v + 9.6v nimh..

What's the pros/ cons of each of these batteries??

Cheers Liam

So realistically I have 3 options, 7.2v lipo, 8.6v + 9.6v nimh..

What's the pros/ cons of each of these batteries??

Cheers Liam

Pros of the nimhs (8.4v & 9.6v) are that as long as you do not overcharge them (a smart charger should stop this, or just good time keeping) they are fairly bombproof. Cons are that they are heavier (not usually a problem), Bigger (can be a problem with some guns, depending on where the battery is stored). Price wise there is not really much in it anymore.

Pros of the Lipo is basically the reverse of the cons of the Nimh, that and it (usually gives a bit more bang for your buck as far as power to size ratio). Cons of them are: you are probably going to have to buy a new charger (not that expensive any more), They have to be treated properly (plenty of posts on here about that) else you risk damage to the battery or in EXTREME cases a mini fireball.

I use mostly lipos now in my guns, just keeping my nimhs as backups.

A very good, cheap mod you can do if you are happy using a soldering iron is to replace all your connectors (batteries and chargers) with deans connectors (google it if you do not know what they are) usually giving a better connection.

So in summary I think if you are happy with the way lipos work and need to be treated then Lipos are the way to go, If not get yourself the biggest Nimh that fits your gun and you will (probably) be happy with that as well.

Pros of the nimhs (8.4v & 9.6v) are that as long as you do not overcharge them (a smart charger should stop this, or just good time keeping) they are fairly bombproof. Cons are that they are heavier (not usually a problem), Bigger (can be a problem with some guns, depending on where the battery is stored). Price wise there is not really much in it anymore.

Pros of the Lipo is basically the reverse of the cons of the Nimh, that and it (usually gives a bit more bang for your buck as far as power to size ratio). Cons of them are: you are probably going to have to buy a new charger (not that expensive any more), They have to be treated properly (plenty of posts on here about that) else you risk damage to the battery or in EXTREME cases a mini fireball.

I use mostly lipos now in my guns, just keeping my nimhs as backups.

A very good, cheap mod you can do if you are happy using a soldering iron is to replace all your connectors (batteries and chargers) with deans connectors (google it if you do not know what they are) usually giving a better connection.

So in summary I think if you are happy with the way lipos work and need to be treated then Lipos are the way to go, If not get yourself the biggest Nimh that fits your gun and you will (probably) be happy with that as well.

I've also heard you get longer usage time from lipos and there more consistent fps and rof... Also a better trigger response on semi, this true???

Also rof changes

With voltage so does a 7.2v lipo fire slightly slower than a 8.6v nimh??

Cheers Liam

I've also heard you get longer usage time from lipos and there more consistent fps and rof... Also a better trigger response on semi, this true???

Also rof changes

With voltage so does a 7.2v lipo fire slightly slower than a 8.6v nimh??

Cheers Liam

Thats what I have found apart from the ROF change you speak of, I would say rate of fire on the 7.2v is somewhere between a good 8.4v Nimh and a 9.6v (maybe even as good as the 9.6v) (none of this is based on anything scientific, just my own opinions/ findings)

• Supporters

a 7.2v lipo is about the same output as a 9.6nimh

Trigger response on semi will be slightly better- swap the connectors to deans to get even better connection too

ah, beaten to it :lol:

a 7.2v lipo is about the same output as a 9.6nimh

Trigger response on semi will be slightly better- swap the connectors to deans to get even better connection too

ah, beaten to it :lol:

Maybe need to swap yourself onto deans for a quicker forum response ;)

Archived