Respraying a RIF i already own

Batcow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I've been looking into this a little bit and i can't seem to find anywhere that says i can't. So...

...Whilst i have no desire to respray my two tones until after i get my ukara(2 weeks or so) does anyone know if it's illegal for me to respray a rif i already own?

It's currently a fully black g36c and i'm thinking it might look better od or tan. As far as i can tell the fact that i have a rif is fine(i'm 27) and as it's already ri then i wouldn't be building/making/converting a two tone.

Anyone out there know 100% which side of the law i would be on if i painted it?

Cheers :)

p.s.

No sarcy comments please, clearly the fact that i've posted this shows that i'm not planning on doing anything illegal B)

• Supporters

It's fine to modify/paint a RIF without defence, as it's already a RIF, you're not manufacturing or buying it.

Cheers Liam,

I figured that would be the case but it's always good to get confirmation :)

I have similar question so I'll post in here to save opening a new thread...

I have a two tone sniper rifle- once I'm ukara registered can I then respray it??

Cheers liam

I have a two tone sniper rifle- once I'm ukara registered can I then respray it??

Cheers liam

yes you can as you will have a defence to do so

yes you can as you will have a defence to do so

Ideal thanks

Liam

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers liam

You can, just bare in mind that some sites don't allow people to use re-sprayed two-tones (even though they still allow unmodified two tones to be used). In my opinion this is beyond dumb, but even so, it is policy for some sites.

You can, just bare in mind that some sites don't allow people to use re-sprayed two-tones (even though they still allow unmodified two tones to be used). In my opinion this is beyond dumb, but even so, it is policy for some sites.

link to said sites? i cant believe a site would do that unless they are a strict milsim site maybe but as long as you spray it to a decent standard they wont know..

You can respray your two tone with or without ukara, it is not illegal, HOWEVER....when challenged you have no defence without UKARA and you are in fact indangering the airsoft exemption. This goes for buying and selling RIFs without UKARA.

Regardless of peoples opion of the UKARA system, without it there would be no airsoft.

• 1 year later...
  • Supporters

You can respray your two tone with or without ukara, it is not illegal, HOWEVER....when challenged you have no defence without UKARA and you are in fact indangering the airsoft exemption. This goes for buying and selling RIFs without UKARA.

Regardless of peoples opion of the UKARA system, without it there would be no airsoft.

I agree that UKARA is a useful system as it makes it easy for the retailer to check that you have a valid defence. Airsoft could still exist well without UKARA but it would mean anyone selling a RIF would have to either see a valis club membership card (where sites issue these) or contact your site to check you have comp,leted the required number of skirmishes/time frame.

Don't underdstand your comment about it not being illegal to respray a two-tone and then saying that you would not have a defence - surely without a valid defence then it is illegal to respray your two-tone!

• Supporters

You can respray your two tone with or without ukara, it is not illegal,

Yes it is.

Sections 36 to 38: Realistic imitation firearms

• These sections introduce a ban on the supply of realistic imitation firearms.

• Section 36 makes it an offence to manufacture, import or sell realistic imitation firearms. It also makes it an offence to modify an imitation firearm to make it realistic. Subsection 7 provides that imported realistic imitation firearms will be liable to forfeiture under customs and excise controls.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-violent-crime-reduction-act-2006-commencement-no-3-order-2007-firearms-measures

It is Illegal for me, someone who IS UKARA registered, who can add other players to the database as shop staff and who can tick someone off as UKARA eligible as site staff, to purchase or manufacture a RIF but I have a defence from prosecution in that I have UKARA and it is my livelihood.

Aaaagh!

Firstly, people, please take the time to read the actual law. I'm not going to post up the link, as a very quick google will bring up the Violent Crime Reduction Act in all it's terrifying glory.

UKARA is NOT a necessity for buying, selling, importing or "manufacturing" a RIF.

In the case of buying, you cannot be guilty of an offence. The offence is to SELL a RIF, not to buy one (unless you are below the age of 18 in which case it is illegal to buy or attempt to buy any kind of imitation firearm. You can still be gifted an IF or RIF, and can quite legally own and use one, but "gifted" does not mean "Dad bought it for me in return for doing the grass for the next year, that's classed as buying it!)

As a seller, you are committing an offence by selling a RIF. In order not to face prosecution you must take reasonable steps to assure yourself that the person attempting to buy is over 18 years of age and can provide you with a defence under one of the allowed defences provided in the VCRA.

The "skirmishers defence" does not exist in those words in law. It is covered by "use of the RIF at a place that has public liability insurance during organised events" (I paraphrase). To prove this, it is sufficient to show that you play airsoft, and that you have done it a few times.

You do not need to be registered with UKARA, or have taken part in a specific number of skirmishes over a specific time period.

Site membership and some kind of record of having played a few times should be enough to prove the defence, but you will need to persuade the seller that they have a defence.

The UKARA database is set up and administered by an entity known as the United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association, basically a club set up by the retailers in order to provide a register of people who they can sell RIF's too with little risk of being prosecuted under the VCRA. It's quite clever as it actually gets other people to do most of the work for them, but I find the rules more than a little prescriptive in terms of number of games, time periods etc.

Now, if you play regularly then it is reasonable to suppose that you have a defense against prosecution for manufacturing a RIF if you decide to paint your two tone guns to make them into RIFs.

So, having said all that, the answer to the initial question is that it is entirely legal to own a RIF, and as it is already a RIF you cannot face any kind of prosecution by altering the way it looks in whatever way you wish.

Yes, the law is stupid, but such is the way with pretty much all firearms legislation in this country.

Archived